Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Today I discovered that I have a slow leak in one of the tires on my 2015 Cherokee with Active Drive I. The Jeep has just over 25k miles. They are the original tires and still have a decent amount of tread on them. From reading the owner's manual, it tells me I should replace the front or rear two tires at the same time at the very least. However, I have read that you should replace all four tires on some AWD vehicles to prevent mechanical damage. Does anyone know what is recommended for the Cherokee? Can I get away with replacing two or should I replace them all? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Super Moderator
21,401 Posts
If the tread is still good, why not locate and repair the leak to get a little more life out of the set of tires? Will they get you through the coming winter safely? I use a soapy water spray bottle to look for bubbles or white foam from the leak. Locating it is the first step.
Even and equal tire wear is important for all 4 tires. Having 1 or more tires with a different circumference due to treadwear will mean that it will turn faster than the others. This may engage the brake-lock differential as explained in the video below.
Uneven tire wear can throw off the ABS or traction electronic controls as it measures the speed of each of the 4 wheels or mean that the front-to-rear transfer case and left-to-right differential side gears will always be 'walking' due to different driveshaft/tire speeds.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I agree with IC in using a soapy water mix and spray the tire and wheel to find the leak. It could be a rim leak where the bead of the tire sits on the aluminum wheel. Is it the tread which is repairable. If it is in the sidewall of the tire, then the tire must be replaced.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ImperialCrown and ka9yhd for the responses. Actually, the thought didn't occur to me at the time I posted this to repair the tire... call it a combination of being tired and ticked off about the Jeep blinding rational thought lol. The soapy water is a good idea, but in this case, I didn't need it. As soon as I took the tire off I noticed the nail in the tire. I repaired it so I should be good for a little while longer (hopefully). Also, thanks for the video, it was very informative.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts