Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 compass. I was unable to order the 8.4NAV with a manual transmission. So I had to get the 7" infotainment system. I'd like to replace it with the bigger screen that has NAV and HD radio. I talked to a few dealers and their service manager said it couldn't be done. Over the years working with other vehicles I've come to find dealers either play dumb and don't want to offer it, or legitimately don't know how. I'm hoping if I can get a solid answer on if it's possible or how to do it I'll have more success at the dealership. I know I have to buy a new bezel to fit the new screen, but can I just get a new one directly from mopar and it just work? If it needs flashed, what is the process? If I get one from a junkyard I assume it would at least be VIN locked. Also I reached out to Infotainment.com and they said they don't support the new vehicles with Fiat wiring yet.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,125 Posts
I have a 2018 compass. I was unable to order the 8.4NAV with a manual transmission. So I had to get the 7" infotainment system. I'd like to replace it with the bigger screen that has NAV and HD radio. I talked to a few dealers and their service manager said it couldn't be done. Over the years working with other vehicles I've come to find dealers either play dumb and don't want to offer it, or legitimately don't know how. I'm hoping if I can get a solid answer on if it's possible or how to do it I'll have more success at the dealership. I know I have to buy a new bezel to fit the new screen, but can I just get a new one directly from mopar and it just work? If it needs flashed, what is the process? If I get one from a junkyard I assume it would at least be VIN locked. Also I reached out to Infotainment.com and they said they don't support the new vehicles with Fiat wiring yet.
HD radio useless in NY metro area. Try ebay for 8.4 nav, check youtube also. Can't advise you on the technical stuff, its complicated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HD radio would be nice, but its not a necessity. Just one of the extra features by going with the 8.4. I've been researching this for weeks now. Currently none on ebay. Even most dealer parts sites don't carry the 2018 parts yet, or it shows as "discontinued" for P/N 68283240AD. The information on the web is mostly for older year vehicles or not specific for my vehicle. I thought I'd ask here if anyone has the technical know how.

·
Super Moderator
6,969 Posts
HD radio would be nice, but its not a necessity. Just one of the extra features by going with the 8.4. I've been researching this for weeks now. Currently none on ebay. Even most dealer parts sites don't carry the 2018 parts yet, or it shows as "discontinued" for P/N 68283240AD. The information on the web is mostly for older year vehicles or not specific for my vehicle. I thought I'd ask here if anyone has the technical know how.
Do you not use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I use android auto. I realize its leaps and bounds above the built in NAV. But I want the bigger screen. The Jeep looks silly with the tiny 7" screen and oodles of bezel around it. Plus the peace of mind of having that NAV is nice if i would ever forget my phone.

·
Super Moderator
37,462 Posts
You may just have to try.
Some has to be first.
Just yesterday, someone posted how the switched the dial shifter in their Durango R/T for the 2018 style traditional shifter. I always wondered if it could be done, but wasn't brave enough to try, They were.

Reactions: Ryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I intend to try. I was just wanted to check if someone else has already been down this road and I can learn from their experience. Currently the radio isn't in stock yet. I checked a local dealer and all the internet dealer parts sites.

·
Super Moderator
21,482 Posts
It is a risk and I would be cautious. It may not be plug n' play. The dealer would likely not decline a chance to make money and increase new car owner satisfaction scores if this was feasible.
If it is feasible, you may need to tell the unit its VIN number and let the TIPM know that it now has that new sales code (8.4NAV) on the network. You may need to initialize and configure the affected modules with an advanced (WiTech or equivalent) scan tool. It may need the DealerConnect ethernet link at the dealer to download a sales code, if it exists for this application. It simply may or may not work and the radio may not be returnable.
On older vehicles one could swap modules around, on newer vehicles this is getting more difficult or impossible to do.
I have used United Radio as an authorized Chrysler exchange depot for replacement radios. They may be able to send a unit with the VIN already loaded in it? There are a number of these factory authorized depots across the country:
Automotive Electronics | United Radio (at http://www.unitedradio.com/automotive-electronics/ )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already have a written agreement with a dealership that is wiling to try to perform the necessary service programming. What I've found is that some dealers turn away the work not because it isn't possible, but because they don't know how. That is why when I ultimately go to the dealer I'd like to say "according to my research, we need to do blah". I'm familiar with the process on the general motors side. In fact, for a small fee you can use the software they use to flash your own vehicle. I'm just not sure how the Jeep/Chrysler/FCA side of things work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts