Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took our van in for regular oil change & inspection, I was informed that we need to replace the rear brake pads because they were worn to 4mm. The fronts were supposed to be O.K., although they only measured 6mm.
They gave me a quote to do rears only, that day, for $220.
I refused but started a search.
Looked up brake pads on line @ Rock Auto, Holy Cow! More selections than sand pebbles on a beach!
So made more inquiries. Advised to use ceramics only as that is what the factory spec'd as OEM.
One source said buy Raybestoes --- but they show 2 different sets in ceramic!
2nd source said buy Wagner --- they show 3 different types!
Advance store has Wagners, but says that Akebono are the best - but most expensive!

So, anybody done this yet? We have 35,000 miles on the originals. I would have thought that they should have lasted longer than that! Our Caliber went almost 70,000 miles before it needed replacement pads.

Opinions please!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Don't forget traction control is a factor as well.

Our 2010 Journey typically has more brake dust on the rears than the fronts, but the fronts were just serviced last year and I think the rear's are original. At 58K I expect to replace them soon. Coworker has a G8 (yeah, I know it's not a minivan) and his rear brakes are wearing almost as fast as the fronts (he's a somewhat aggressive driver).

With the pads down to only 4 mm, I'd say your safe for a while yet. Here in VA they won't pass safety inspection if they are down to 2 mm or less.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I used Reybestos for my Journey as was very happy. When took a look under RockAuto I just see to diffrent size rear pads, that why there a multiple part numbers. So ensure what size rear brakes you have.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts