Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel pump on my 95 LeBaron convertible ( 3.0 V6) is getting noisy. Kind of a humming sound. I've heard this on other LeBaron as well including my high mile 94 whose pump failed after a time. Normally the fuel pump is inaudible except for that short shot when the ignition key is first turned on.
Anyway I thought I would replace it myself this time. Looking at Rock Auto there are so many brands out there. Some well known like Carter, Bosch, Delphi and Airtex and others that I don't recognize.
I want to buy a quality replacement that will operate quietly and last. I want to avoid Chinese off brands. Does anyone have experience with any of these ? Any idea of who made the OE pumps ? I'm not sure that would be my best bet since I've heard quite a few of these original pumps get noisy.
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
When my 1992 Daytona fuel pump failed at 210K miles, I asked the mechanic to go to the dealer and get an OEM pump. That repair was over $500. When the tank leaked, I bought a new tank and all new guts, bought a pump from Rockauto. I'm guessing it was Spectra. I took that tank out of the 92 and put it in my 93 when I bought that, to capture the remaining value. That pump now has 90K miles on it and is fine.

The original pump in my 84 Daytona failed in July 2011 at 128K miles, and I replaced it with a Bosch pump from Rockauto. It only has 2,500 miles on it, but has been fine. I would choose Bosch again in a heartbeat. It was $186 for the part, but worth it.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I'd probably avoid the Airtex - Master brand sold by the chain stores. There were reports of premature failures on this board in the past. In all fairness, some have also reported no problems, so it could be a quality control issue.

You should be OK with the first 3 names you mentioned. Like most parts, expect to see an overseas country of manufacture, but I coulkd be wrong. Maybe the Delphi and Carters are still made in the USA?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
My Bosch fuel pump was actually made in USA - could be NOS.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
Honestly, the two 1994 LeBarons I owned had very noisy fuel pumps. I just ignored the hum and kept driving them. I sold one to a friend who drove it 5 or 6 more years still on that same noisy fuel pump until trading it for a newer car a couple years back.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,

Thanks for the input. I'll wait a few more days before I pull the trigger and order a replacement. I have idea of how long the current pump may last as the car has only 43K miles on it, but like the orginal OEM pump in my 94 LeBaron ( now on it's 3rd fuel pump ), it's way too noisy. Clearly annoyingly audible inside the car even with a full tank of gas. The 94's original pump failed quite suddenly at about 130K so I suspect this pump could last longer if I could only put up with the humming. The second pump and third pumps on my 94 were replaced by a local garage years ago and I have no idea of the manufacturer. The second pump was replaced, not because of a pump failure but because the check valve fell out making the car hard to start. Both the replacement pumps are silent. Bob, were both of your replacement pumps quiet ? All the pumps offered on Rock Auto seem to be priced quite reasonably.

This tiime I plan on replacing the pump myself. I've never done an in tank fuel pump but it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult if the tank is nearly empty. Does anyone know if the tank has to come out entirely or can the pumps be swapped while the tank is still in the car ?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Yes, both pumps are very quiet. I've never had a noisy pump. Both of my failures were very sudden, no warning. The first one was a no-start right at the fuel pumps with a full tank; the second died with no warning at 65 mph on the highway.

Generally you have to lower the tank some to get at the pump anyway, so there's no more effort in taking it out. One tip is that it's easier to remove the filler pipe with the RR wheel off. Otherwise, it gets hung up in the wheelwell and is a fight to get in and out.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any special connectors used on the fuel line to pump fittings that require a special tool to disconnect ? Doed the filler pipe get disconnected at the tank or up at the cap end ?

·
KOG
6,995 Posts
I've used airtex for several replacements, no problems. The OEM pumps on three of the Caravans were airtex. We've usually seen 180-200,000 miles on the original pumps.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
There are 2 electrical plugs (pump and sending unit) to disconnect. Then three rubber hoses - supply from pump, return, and vent line. The supply and return have fuel injection band clamps that either unscrew or pinch with pliers to remove. I cut the rubber hoses and replaced them.

Then unscrew the filler pipe from the fender (4 screws near the gas cap); remove the RR tire; twist and pull the pipe out. I recommend replacing the grommet at the tank. Lube it with power steering fluid only, not engine oil, to slide the pipe back in.

Tank can be lowered by undoing the two nuts on the strap studs and catching the tank on a floor jack that has a piece of plywood across it.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
try a a 1/4 of a quarter of two strokeoil first....just dump it in the fuel.
I do this regulary when the whining gets anyoing, about every tent´h fill up.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try the oil added to the gas trick just to see what may happen.I have to drive the car quite a distance to get it back home so it couldn't hurt. I'll most likely order and have on hand a replacement pump ( most likley the Bosch ) just in case. It always seems these pumps fail rather suddenly and it's not like I haven't had a warning. I know they're not supposed to be noisy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts