Allpar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I have a 2004 PT Cruiser base model and I want to replace the cluster lights on it with a cool different color, I’m just not sure what size bulb to use! I’ve read online that it could be a T5 or T10, does anyone know which it is for sure? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,882 Posts
They are PC74 lamps. There are colored LED versions available.

Rectangle Font Parallel Auto part Line art

Font Number Parallel

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light

Reactions: codypet

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Special note - Keep the cluster upright as much as possible. If you do need to lay it flat, no more than 10 minutes. The fluid in the gauges has a tendency to migrate if not in the upright position.

·
Super Moderator
23,882 Posts
Agree. We were told not to place gauges 'face down' for too long as the viscous dampening fluid could leak out past the pointer shaft.
The fluid slows the magnetic gauge pointer movement. The gauge would still work, but it was annoying watching a gas gauge pointer swing all over the place with fuel sloshing in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
33,530 Posts
Gauges have fluid in them to damp the motion? When did that phase in, and does it apply to 2011-2012 Chrysler 200?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Special note - Keep the cluster upright as much as possible. If you do need to lay it flat, no more than 10 minutes. The fluid in the gauges has a tendency to migrate if not in the upright position.
Ok that’s good to know! I don’t want to damage the cluster by changing the lights lol. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,882 Posts
The damper fluid came in with the change from thermal/bimetal gauges to the magnetic gauges in the early '80's:

Font Parallel Document Number Paper product

·
Super Moderator
40,271 Posts
Was this type of fluid used in all digital clusters from the 80s till now?
The fluid is to dampen a mechanical gauge. I doubt it is used in a digital cluster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.