Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My auto repair shop tells me that I need to replace the motor mounts on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee and it looks like it will be an expensive job.

I only drive the car about 6,000 miles a year and I'm wondering how long I can put this off and what the risks are of deferring this maintenance.

I learned about the problem several months ago and it doesn't seem to be any worse as far as I can tell. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even know there was a problem had the repair shop not told me about it.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. "Need" is a strong word. If you don't have any symptoms, what is their diagnosis? Are they softened or torn? Torn or separated motor mounts can be a safety issue and best repaired now if the vehicle sees public highway use.
Can they show you on a lift in the shop what is 'bad' about them to prove the "need to replace"? That may help to reassure you about their honesty with you and put your mind at ease.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
My dealer told me the same thing, so I bought the mounts to install myself.
Put the Liberty on my lift and decided 1) Daimler needs to rot in hades for that design.
2) They arent that bad... :lol:
It requires lifting the engine about 2-3" to replace the mounts, they are HUGE!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts