Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Looking for best method to remove and replace this sensor on my 84 Plymouth Reliant 2.2 four cylinder engine. Never done before.

Help appreciated. What tools will I need?

·
Super Moderator
32,052 Posts
Best to get an O2 socket, which has the slot up the side to accommodate the wiring. I use a 1/2 inch drive ratchet wrench for leverage. Spray the sensor threads with penetrating oil while the engine is warm, let it cool down a little, then attack from above. Be certain that the socket is fully seated on the hex, or you will round it off. If the wires of the old sensor won't permit it to seat fully, cut the wires flush with the sensor. Use only NTK or Denso for replacement - NOT Bosch.
Put the anti-seize compound on the threads of the new one, but do NOT get any on the sensing body element, it will cause premature failure.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Super Moderator
37,275 Posts
I'll add to Bob's advice above. I have two O2 sensor sockets. One was thin wall and would flex at the slot and would try to round off the sensor making removal difficult I bought a second thick walled one and it worked much better.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,810 Posts
Best to work from the top. Almost impossible to come up from underneath. You may need to remove the air cleaner box for more room.

Agree with everything Bob L. posted.

Don't use Bosch sensors!

·
KOG
7,039 Posts
Cut the wire, use an impact socket to remove. The O2 socket is to install the new one.

Reactions: Gerry G

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you for the 'heads up' This will make the job so much easier. Oh, you have to remove the air box. Impossible to get to it otherwise, I have found.
I appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,098 Posts
When I did the upstream O2 sensor on our '98 Jeep 4.0 I found it much easier to get it out when the engine was hot, it would not budge with it cold, even with penetrating oil soaking in. Just be careful around hot exhaust, wear fireplace gloves or similar.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Registered
160 Posts
On a vehicle that old, you may need to use heat (a torch) applied to the oxygen sensor mounting bung on the exhaust.
Its 35 years old and almost assuredly seized.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,810 Posts
The last time I removed an O2 sensor on one of my Acclaims (2.5L) I had to use a breaker bar to break it loose. And that was after getting the engine to operating temperature. Once it broke loose it came out easily.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Use only a minimial amount of antisieze on the new one if any at all.
Do not spray any penetrating oil on the electrical connection, clean the connector in the harness with something that evaporates totally.
- this is because its possible for these products to enter the air reference intake on the new sensor and if that happens its destroyed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If yours was anything like the rusted crap on my ram I has to use heat and a breaker bar. I followed up with a thread chaser to make sure the threads were clean and good.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Use a hose clamp on the socket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts