Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like a real PITA. Any advice before I dive into it?

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
It's not too bad. Remove the front passenger wheel and splash shield to access from the side. 3/4" (19 mm) wrench to realease tension from the tensioner. Then unbolt tensioner. You have to get a wrench on the nut behind the tensioner since the bolt passess through. 15 mm I think.

·
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete.

·
Registered
292 Posts
do they make the double sided grooved belt and pulley for the 4th gen vans? if you're changing those out I'd recommend that kit if it's available

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's not too bad. Remove the front passenger wheel and splash shield to access from the side. 3/4" (19 mm) wrench to realease tension from the tensioner. Then unbolt tensioner. You have to get a wrench on the nut behind the tensioner since the bolt passess through. 15 mm I think.
My 2002 (gen 4) T&C has a tensioner with a separate thru-bolt that screws directly into a boss on the timing chain cover. There's no nut. I believe the gen 3 vans used the nut-type design. The gen 4 type makes it a bit easier to replace the tensioner.

·
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2002 (gen 4) T&C has a tensioner with a separate thru-bolt that screws directly into a boss on the timing chain cover. There's no nut. I believe the gen 3 vans used the nut-type design. The gen 4 type makes it a bit easier to replace the tensioner.
I saw the new tensioner has a hole and not a stud like my '96 3.0L has.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I don't know about the 02 model, but on my 99 it was kind of a pain. I got up under mine and with a long extension and universal joint on my socket, was able to get it loose. I broke 2 universal joints before I found my Craftsman and finally got it loose. The two I broke were Durajunk from the Zone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts