Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Interesting that these models may still need the transaxle re-programmed the reviewer mentions excessive lugging and less than promised fuel economy.
The low-lights are; "Our only objections to the 2014 Cherokee's interior came by way of loose-feeling door panels--partly attributable to being a preproduction car--a smallish cargo bay, and a small, odd, and somewhat cheap-feeling mechanism for the tilt/telescoping steering wheel that we're sure had to have been cribbed from something out of the Fiat portfolio."

Overall, they liked the car.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
The complaints about the nine-speed are troublesome.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Yes, it needs to be sorted out quick. The eight speed is applauded. They need the same from the nine speed.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Mike V. said:
Yes, it needs to be sorted out quick. The eight speed is applauded. They need the same from the nine speed.
Mike
It was first revealed in April, 2013. That may prove to have been 12 months early.
Could the leaked photos have panicked M into a premature roll-out?

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It was first revealed in April, 2013. That may prove to have been 12 months early.
Could the leaked photos have panicked M into a premature roll-out?
I just don't know. I just can't figure out how the 8 speed has worked so well for the V6 but the nine isn't.

The mules in April were supposed late stage mules. I can't decide if they were early on mule production or late on delivery. Based on the known info that 200 mules are coming down the line with a January show debut... As an example for timing

No doubt he was forced to debut pics in April because the Internet was on fire over the plant mule pics.

We know a handful of Cherokee's really are heading for dealer rollout.

Mike

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Overall they liked the car.

"No. Instead, we'll just say this: You'd be an idiot not to consider the 2014 Jeep Cherokee if you're in the market for a new compact crossover. Between its technology, amenities, and abilities, it's a whole generation ahead of just about anything else in its class. It is a blueprint for what a Jeep should be both now and for decades to come."

I guess that would the conservative assestment of the above statement.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 8-speeds were bought from ZF at first, then very little changed for Chrysler production.

The 9-speed, however, was simplified from drawings by Chrysler and produced here.

I wonder if it was over-simplified or is missing something that the ZF version has.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
I worry that was a reaction...and not steady leadership execution of a plan.
The reaction was so stark and strong, they may have felt a compulsion to respond and rush an unfinished product out to market.
I hope not.
I hope they have the glitches fixed and are simply waiting to flood the dealers with product. However I question the giving of pre-production models to the press, if they aren't ready for prime time.
Yes that is normal, however this model,is not normal and the success or failure of it will be huge, this is not business as usual.
TripleT said:
"It is a blueprint for what a Jeep should be both now and for decades to come."
That is their opinion.
It assumes that the technology works, that the bugs can be sorted out and that folks care, in numbers that overcome the weak points.
It also assumes the industry would move in only one direction and remain stagnant for decades. ;)

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
The complaint (as I read it) was that it wanted to be in the upper range too soon. I find that to be a common issue with the latest models. They are using the tall gears to get the mileage rating up. Yes, it needs adjustment to bring the lower gears into use much quicker. Given the fact that they were in te3st mode, the mileage given was not that bad.

·
Administrator
35,240 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 8-speeds were bought from ZF at first, then very little changed for Chrysler production.

The 9-speed, however, was simplified from drawings by Chrysler and produced here.
You do not remember correctly.

Both transmissions were modified, primarily to match the production methods and quantities of the two manufacturers. The eight speed was also changed this year to increase the two ratings of Ram trucks.

That said, the software for the nine speed is much, much newer and will have to be refined, I think. The eight speed software, I'm sure, went through a number of revisions as time went on. That's just the way it is, even with the four speed and five speed.

These are adaptive automatics, and often if you are driving it right after someone else who drives very differently, you will have problems. Some writers are very aggressive, and some are shockingly slow. If you get alternating drivers like that, the transmission will screw up and quite regularly. That’s a characteristic of the 1990s-2010s four speeds, too!

Believe me, I've gotten enough review cars where the transmissions were totally weird for the first hour or two...

[added] As for getting into upper gears too soon, yes, that's common to many cars now. GM seems to be the worst, in my opinion, the transmissions always want to be in top gear, but don't want to downshift. That said, it was also a minor issue with the Durango five-speed I just drove.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
So what are the downsides? The new nine-speed transmission lugs in higher gears at times to preserve fuel economy; we saw about 22 mpg over the course of a day with the two-wheel-drive Latitude and about 19 mpg with a V-6, all-wheel-drive Limited. That makes it feel a little more sluggish than one might expect and certainly slower than a 2.0-liter EcoBoost Escape in a seat-of-the-pants, unscientific comparison. Adding to that feeling of leisure was the Jeep's manumatic shift function, which proved slow and would often display selected gears on the car's TFT monitor even though it was obvious we weren't using them, like ninth gear at 45 mph for instance.
Two things here:

Isn't that how every transmission is when it's in it's higeest gear?

Also, the Cherokee doesn't have a true manumatic shift mode. It's an "ERS"

From the Owner's Manual:
Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation

The Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control allows the driver to limit the highest available gear. For example, if you shift the transmission into 5 (fifth gear), the transmission will not shift above fifth gear, but will shift through the lower gears normally. You can switch between DRIVE and ERS mode at any vehicle speed. When the shift lever is in the DRIVE position, the transmission will operate automatically, shifting between all available gears.

Moving the shift lever to the ERS position (beside DRIVE) will activate ERS mode, display the current gear in the instrument cluster, and maintain that gear as the top available gear. Once in ERS mode, moving the shift lever forward (-) or rearward (+) will change the top available gear. To exit ERS mode, simply return the shift lever to the DRIVE position.

NOTE: To select the proper gear position for maximum deceleration (engine braking), simply press and hold the shift lever forward (-). The transmission will shift to the range from which the vehicle can best be slowed down.
Just because you "shift" up to 9th gear, doesn't actually put it into 9th gear...

·
Registered
476 Posts
"We went into driving the Jeep Cherokee expecting it to be a dud, not because we expected it to be particularly bad. We thought it would drive okay, have an alright interior, look a little weird, and otherwise just be a pretty nice crossover. None of that would have made us give a second look. We didn't expect it to be overwhelming overachiever this Cherokee certainly is."

Wow, that's certainly some fine praise.
What this review did that another recently much discussed one didn't is point out perceived issues without making those issues be the substance of the review. It's certainly a bit fluffy in some respects but I think it's much more in line with the consensus.

I will also note that they are saying this thing is at least a generation ahead of the competitors. That's an awesome compliment and a sign that Chrysler/Fiat did their homework.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I worry that was a reaction...and not steady leadership execution of a plan.
The reaction was so stark and strong, they may have felt a compulsion to respond and rush an unfinished product out to market.
I hope not.
I hope they have the glitches fixed and are simply waiting to flood the dealers with product. However I question the giving of pre-production models to the press, if they aren't ready for prime time.
Yes that is normal, however this model,is not normal and the success or failure of it will be huge, this is not business as usual.
That is their opinion.
It assumes that the technology works, that the bugs can be sorted out and that folks care, in numbers that overcome the weak points.
It also assumes the industry would move in only one direction and remain stagnant for decades. ;)
As this is a thread on this review. I would say if they OPIONION ,is that is Drives as well if not better than a CX-5 and destroy every other model on interior styling and is light years ahead in the class off road, and every thing else should benchmark I will go ahead and say they like it a whole lot.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
TripleT said:
As this is a thread on this review. I would say if they OPIONION ,is that is Drives as well if not better than a CX-5 and destroy every other model on interior styling and is light years ahead in the class off road, and every thing else should benchmark I will go ahead and say they like it a whole lot.
I was very happy to read that.

It seems the CX-5 is the benchmark for handling in this segment.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
I was very happy to read that.

It seems the CX-5 is the benchmark for handling in this segment.
Pretty sure Mazda has been the benchmark for each of the segments it competes in when it comes to handling/fun to drive.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Notice how they had nothing but praise for the quietness of the cabin...while driving the supposedly noisy 2.4 tigershark.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lb4gnDzqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEgNyCYmtqI

On and off road tests... They didn't care too much for the 4cyl but it sounds better than the 4cyl in the RAV4 from what I can tell via video.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
That's what Im saying: it's a 4cyl, that's what they sound like!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Interesting that these models may still need the transaxle re-programmed the reviewer mentions excessive lugging and less than promised fuel economy.
The low-lights are; "Our only objections to the 2014 Cherokee's interior came by way of loose-feeling door panels--partly attributable to being a preproduction car--a smallish cargo bay, and a small, odd, and somewhat cheap-feeling mechanism for the tilt/telescoping steering wheel that we're sure had to have been cribbed from something out of the Fiat portfolio."

Overall, they liked the car.
You know whats more interesting is that with all of the postive in this review you took the time to point out the only negative statements that were made.......
The only controversy about the 2014 Jeep Cherokee's interior is how much better it is than anything else in the class. And we find that surprising to say. Chrysler hasn't always had the best interiors out there, but this one is far and away better than anything it competes against,

Read more: http://www.automotive.com/jeep/cherokee/2014/first-drive/#ixzz2fHYLTelP
Then, there's more cloth covering door panels. It's not a huge deal, but it shows Jeep sweated the small stuff, and it makes even the cheapest versions feel quite upscale.

Read more: http://www.automotive.com/jeep/cherokee/2014/first-drive/#ixzz2fHYkVxAs
It came equipped with the same 184 horsepower "Tigershark" 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine as the upcoming 2014 Dodge Dart. We were expecting it to behave like a basic small crossover without much dynamic prowess. Instead, we got what might be one of the few credible alternatives to the Mazda CX-5 when it comes to fun utility vehicles.

Read more: http://www.automotive.com/jeep/cherokee/2014/first-drive/#ixzz2fHZ2pzOl
It's also remarkable how quiet and refined its driving behavior is over the road, as we had the opportunity to drive it back-to-back with a Toyota RAV4 and Ford Escape--both fine crossovers in their own rights--and we couldn't help but think how much less noise and vibration were transmitted to the Jeep's cabin.

Read more: http://www.automotive.com/jeep/cherokee/2014/first-drive/#ixzz2fHZVtUcQ
Whether using one of the number of off-road modes provided by Jeep's four-wheel-drive system or winging it, the Cherokee Trailhawk proved unstoppable. While this thing may be based on a compact Alfa Romeo hatchback sold overseas, no one should doubt its abilities. It's breathtaking to say the very least. I have a picture of me driving down a steep hill with a wheel in the air and my best "Holy crap" face to prove it.

Read more: http://www.automotive.com/jeep/cherokee/2014/first-drive/#ixzz2fHZyWHh8
We went into driving the Jeep Cherokee expecting it to be a dud, not because we expected it to be particularly bad. We thought it would drive okay, have an alright interior, look a little weird, and otherwise just be a pretty nice crossover. None of that would have made us give a second look. We didn't expect it to be overwhelming overachiever this Cherokee certainly is.

Read more: http://www.automotive.com/jeep/cherokee/2014/first-drive/#ixzz2fHaLSsVF
You'd be an idiot not to consider the 2014 Jeep Cherokee if you're in the market for a new compact crossover. Between its technology, amenities, and abilities, it's a whole generation ahead of just about anything else in its class. It is a blueprint for what a Jeep should be both now and for decades to come.

Read more: http://www.automotive.com/jeep/cherokee/2014/first-drive/#ixzz2fHaVZfmb

1 - 20 of 74 Posts