Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks pretty impressive, and now with AWD.

However, you cannot get it in hybrid AWD, like you do in the new Sienna.

·
Jeepaholic
5,653 Posts
You can’t deny the utility in these vans. We were going to look at the new Pacifica’s with AWD, but alas we won’t be now since we made our family hauler purchase. It appears very well don’t though.

I like watching these guys’ videos, they work well together. That would be a fun job to be able to do with your son or daughter.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is like getting to know someone’s family.

I like it how instead of giving you ONE POV, each video uses two or three presenters to give voice to the different perspectives viewers are likely to have —i.e., the good and the bad; likes and dislikes, etc.

·
Jeepaholic
5,653 Posts
Yup. They’re easy to listen to, not over the top one way or another. Some other YouTubers are rather annoying with their “style”.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have liked these vans from day one, even more with the front redesign and awd. Now, if they would only fix the '57 Rambler 'D' pillar, i would love it. I don't have much use for ?uv's of any kind, but having loved and driven many versions of the Chrysler Corp. minivan, I would take another one in a minute. As I age, the style, comfort and utility of these vehicles becomes more and more attractive.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Beautiful Van, best in the industry and it's not even close. Now let's go sell some!

*Edit - too bad there is no hybrid AWD...

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have liked these vans from day one, even more with the front redesign and awd. Now, if they would only fix the '57 Rambler 'D' pillar, i would love it. I don't have much use for ?uv's of any kind, but having loved and driven many versions of the Chrysler Corp. minivan, I would take another one in a minute. As I age, the style, comfort and utility of these vehicles becomes more and more attractive.

I have never liked the D-pillar on the Pacifica van. The black trim panel makes it look awkward. I do like the front styling, and the side styling - from the doors forward.

I do think the new AWD option will help sell more of them. Call me old-fashioned, but I think the trend toward almost all exterior trim being blacked-out, with black wheels, makes the vehicle look cheap and low-end.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I thought the Pontiac Transport had power doors before Chrysler did. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I remember we tested a GM van with sliding doors, before Chrysler had them.
The GM would snap pencils in 1/2 !!!! We made sure that ours didn't do that!

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
And all those great GM minivans are GONE :D
They couldn't recover from the early 00's crash test failures. One thing Dateline love to do back in the late 90's and early 00's was to show specials on how unsafe family cars were. GM had an uphill battle when these were plastered all over the TV like this.
upload_2020-11-13_7-58-11.png

Chrysler wasn't impervious to this either as prior to the 4th gen minivans, Dateline was all over Chrysler for the lack of break shift interlock on the shifter. At the time not a whole lot of cars had it.

·
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They couldn't recover from the early 00's crash test failures. One thing Dateline love to do back in the late 90's and early 00's was to show specials on how unsafe family cars were. GM had an uphill battle when these were plastered all over the TV like this.
View attachment 31209
Chrysler wasn't impervious to this either as prior to the 4th gen minivans, Dateline was all over Chrysler for the lack of break shift interlock on the shifter. At the time not a whole lot of cars had it.
Yup, the same formula had paid off handsomely for Consumer Reports several years before.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Dustbuster
That's actually the generation after the Dustbuster, when the arguably should have known better.

Yup, the same formula had paid off handsomely for Consumer Reports several years before.
The interesting point when it aired, and I would have been 15/16 years old is that they interviewed Chrysler minivan owners and suggested they try to shift from park without applying the brake, and the parents were all like this is unsafe, but you could tell by the interiors only one van was a 3rd gen. The rest were 1st and 2nd gens which I found unfair because by 2001 when the piece aired the 1st and 2nd gens were ancient. They also caveated really quickly at the end in the last 10 secs that the model that was for sale at the time (4th gen) did have brake shift interlock. So the piece was much ado about nothing because you couldn't buy a new Chrysler minivan without it anyway at that point.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
With the "we don't discuss future products""approach and Toyota's Sienna having Hybrid-AWD right now, given the technologies already utilized in two JEEP products, an Hybrid-AWD PACIFICA has to be just around the corner; one might think...or no?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I guess I'll have to admit to being 180* out of phase with the world. I've been waiting since 2017 to buy the new van, but the color and equipment available never matched my desires. Now they have the looks and a couple of colors I can live with, but now I can't buy a Limited without AWD. Somehow I fail to see the logic in that restriction.

I live in the South and I'm retired, so no need to venture out in the one or two light snowfalls a year. I drive 7-8k a year, and never go off-road, so AWD is nothing more than weight and complexity that I don't need or want.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts