Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about this for years and most of the persons replying recommend replacing the wheels. But what if that is a budget issue? I've been driving mine since July of 2000 and although I'm on the 4th set of tires I still have the original wheels. And about four times a year I have to take them to a tire guy who dismounts the tires, grinds the wheel lips and applied a rubbery paint on material (don't know the name) then remounts and balances the wheels. No leaking - - - for about 3 months. Then the process starts again.

I was just wondering if anyone else has some up with a successful fix for this problem short of replacing the wheels. Oh, I'd love to but its far less expense albeit not that often to have the wheels "sealed".

Ideas anyone? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
A spray bottle of slightly soapy water will locate the leaks. Common at the valve stem-to-rim, tire-to-rim or there may be a nail in the tire.
If you are in the salt belt, there isn't much else you can do. Once corrosion starts, you can wire-wheel it off and re-apply sealer. I only have to do it once every 3 or 4 years.
If you are having to do this 3 or 4 times a year, there is something wrong.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I suspect that the sealing surfaces of the rim lip are deteriorating badly and are becoming too rough of maintain a lasting seal even with the goop. Have you tried looking for used PT rims on eBay or Craig's List. A set from one of the southern or western states or maybe a set that still has the original tires may be your best bet. I take it you have the chromed alloy rims that seem to be very susceptable to galvanic corrosion. You could also try looking for a set of the Sebring rims that use the 5 x 100 bolt pattern. Many of the Sebring sedan and convertible wheels are polished alloy and don't have the corrosion issue that the chromed wheels have. Look at wheel Interchange # 16151. ( eBay # 380400048732 )There are brand new ones on eBay for $110. each. You can probably pick up a good used set with tires for less that that

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had to have 2 of the 4 chrome wheels on my '05 GT Convertible done at 2 different times. So far there's no further issue. I was told by the tire guys that the chromed wheels are the culprits...not the painted aluminum ones. I think I would look for wheels with polished accents rather than all chrome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts