Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im edward michno 54 yrs old from winsted ct usa what i want to discuss today is the american motors car brand discontinued after 1988 when i was younger i owned several amc cars and they were great the amc brand is still remembered well and is true american i think chrysler schould revive american motors car line as a division i have saw some of the ideas for concept models of amx javlin pacer and matador and gremlin and they are very nice and sharp i really hope yull concider my idea because to bring back american motors line would be awesome and i think it would be huge success one idea i have for you is to call it american motors jeep division of chrysler corporation sincerely edward michno

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Chrysler tried to market Eagles, but those were slow sellers and basically rebadged Renault, Mitsubishi and LH cars.
I can't see a revival making money and the models you list would compete with the present Dodges. I just can't see a business case for it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
Welcome to Allpar. Chrysler tried to market Eagles, but those were slow sellers and basically rebadged Renault, Mitsubishi and LH cars.
I can't see a revival making money and the models you list would compete with the present Dodges. I just can't see a business case for it.
The only reason to bring back Eagle/AMC would be for export market, and I can't see them being able to sell AMC outside the US/Canada too much. But just going off the name thats there with Eagle, it's not bad. But it would be far easier putting them under Fiat badging, which is also cheaper and how they are doing it currently. They have enough brands, and honestly need to kill one off possibly (Lancia I think, mainly based on sales and reputation but would like to see it continue on anyway, cause I like the brand just not the business case for it).

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
When GM had made a blustering offer to buy Chrysler, it was suggested that with GM's ownership of AM-General, that if such a merger would happen that the new company should be named American Motors. Though admittedly this was not a desirable merger for us anyway, and really the only thing that GM would have kept reasonably intact would have been Jeep...

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Well, AMC falls right in line with Plymouth, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and later down the road, Desoto, Packard, Hudson, Nash, Rambler, Pierce Arrow, REO, well, you get the idea.

·
Administrator
35,230 Posts
GM didn't ever own American General. It owned the licensing rights to the term "Hummer" as applied to vehicles other than the real Hummer.

PS> I thought Cerberus should have renamed Chrysler to American Motors when they bought it, at least partly to make a point, but I never thought bringing the nameplate back was a good idea. (That is, the corporation would become AMC, and it would make Chryslers.) AMC was never a successful brand, as a brand, and even back in the day they named their whole carline "Rambler" for a while.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Ah. My mistake...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I still think an Eagle marque offering AWD cars and CUVs would work alongside Jeep. Sort of an American Subaru. As a plus, all the soft-roaders could be Eagles rather than Jeeps, removing that point of contention.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Don't worry, I'm sure that someone would find a reason to complain. Probably about cannibalizing models from the real off-road brand or somesuch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi i still think bringing back amc as a car line division would be very successful espicially have you seen the concept proto types of possible future amc car models they were in hot rod magazine some years back i think thease cars would be highly successful look what success chrysler is having reviving the challenger and charger why not the javlin amx espicially please sombody suggest this to chrysler sincerely edward michno winsted ct

·
Registered
165 Posts
I currently own two AMCs and have owned 4 more (Eagles). While I love my Javelin and Marlin, neither were really cars in line with the success AMC had. Cars like the American, and Classic were from AMCs profit years. I've always felt those AMCs were the Toyota of their day. Boring and reliable (and profit making!) The Javelin/AMC was a great design, but it competed outside their market against giants. One thing that I do believe is lacking from the US market is a dirt simple front engine rear drive econo box that doesn't have a single thing it doesn't need to be legal. I would love such a car, however, few people come into my showroom asking for such a vehicle and often when I show them they want more.

A few years ago there was a Hot Rod article for April fools showing some concept drawing for a "new" AMC. There was also a project to build AMX 3s as kit cars.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Frantz said:
I currently own two AMCs and have owned 4 more (Eagles). While I love my Javelin and Marlin, neither were really cars in line with the success AMC had. Cars like the American, and Classic were from AMCs profit years. I've always felt those AMCs were the Toyota of their day. Boring and reliable (and profit making!) The Javelin/AMC was a great design, but it competed outside their market against giants. One thing that I do believe is lacking from the US market is a dirt simple front engine rear drive econo box that doesn't have a single thing it doesn't need to be legal. I would love such a car, however, few people come into my showroom asking for such a vehicle and often when I show them they want more.

A few years ago there was a Hot Rod article for April fools showing some concept drawing for a "new" AMC. There was also a project to build AMX 3s as kit cars.
Hey there -

I owned a '69 AMX 343CID back in the day. It's long gone, but I still miss it. I owned two Pacers, too ... a Pacer X and an early Wagon.

I think Teague junior did a really nice job with those renderings and would love to see them produced - irrespective that they were concepts shown just for Hot Rod's readership.

I really liked the AMX3, as well, but tended to prefer the AMX2 a bit more than the 3 at the end of the day. Interesting the AMX3 still has a following; it was very, very nicely done for its day.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh I remember exactly where I was when I saw the Hot Rod issue. Beautiful concepts. I was at Ft Indiantown Gap in PA getting ready for a deployment at the PX. Until I actually read the article and realized it was a joke I was giddy with excitement. There were several folks that didn't catch on to the joke, mostly because it is a plausible story. I just don't feel there is room for many more auto makers. If we didn't have Kia/Hyundai now adays that would be their niche. Perhaps if it were done like Checker where change is simply ignored other than keeping up with new regulations. I spent a few weeks in Georgia (the country) and got to see all the old Russian cars, they reminded me of old Americans and I sorta liked em.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Frantz said:
Oh I remember exactly where I was when I saw the Hot Rod issue. Beautiful concepts. I was at Ft Indiantown Gap in PA getting ready for a deployment at the PX. Until I actually read the article and realized it was a joke I was giddy with excitement. There were several folks that didn't catch on to the joke, mostly because it is a plausible story. I just don't feel there is room for many more auto makers. If we didn't have Kia/Hyundai now adays that would be their niche. Perhaps if it were done like Checker where change is simply ignored other than keeping up with new regulations. I spent a few weeks in Georgia (the country) and got to see all the old Russian cars, they reminded me of old Americans and I sorta liked em.
I've only seen photos of what life is/was like in the old Soviet Bloc countries.

Their stuff is "Interesting" to say the least.

You're right, though. It appears companies are more ripe for consolidation into a few than ripe for expansion - no argument there.

·
Chyrsler Historical Buff!!
1,892 Posts
AMC built some solid, reliable cars. In 1958, two of my Uncle's bought Rambler Cross Country Wagons. I think they had listened to my Grandpa's rantings about the Mopar "crummy '57s rusting in place." One Uncle was in the U. S. Navy, stationed at San Diego. He got orders for a change of station to Newport News, Virginia. As it happened, my brother, and my cousin (US Air Force) had gotten leave and were visiting my Uncle. The Navy had loaded up Uncle's furnishings and was trucking it across the country when the 3 of them got together. Deciding to head on towards home, they loaded up the Rambler and headed out. Aunt, Uncle, my Brother, and my Cousin had turns at driving the wagon. Big 6 cylinder, stick shift with O/D. Between the 4 of them, they kept the Rambler pointed East stopping only for gas, eats, and bladder relief for just over 46 hours straight across the country. Think * Not complete interstate system yet.

Not against a resurrection of a good marque as AMC was. Just remember that the single last SUCCESSFUL auto entrepreneur in and for the USA, was Walter P. Chrysler from 1925. Politics? Money? Protectionist? Don't want to go that route. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
JTE said:
The AMC Designers still get together, this is what a new AMX would look like.

Hey JTE -

Clay models really put things into focus ! The 'AMX-isms' definitely stand out.

Amen to the AMC colors.

I also see the very Javelin/AMX roof-line at the trailing edge, too. I salute your attention to that detail :)

Ever contemplate what power this car would have if it were put on the street in 2013/2014/2015?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Curtis Redgap said:
AMC built some solid, reliable cars. In 1958, two of my Uncle's bought Rambler Cross Country Wagons. I think they had listened to my Grandpa's rantings about the Mopar "crummy '57s rusting in place." One Uncle was in the U. S. Navy, stationed at San Diego. He got orders for a change of station to Newport News, Virginia. As it happened, my brother, and my cousin (US Air Force) had gotten leave and were visiting my Uncle. The Navy had loaded up Uncle's furnishings and was trucking it across the country when the 3 of them got together. Deciding to head on towards home, they loaded up the Rambler and headed out. Aunt, Uncle, my Brother, and my Cousin had turns at driving the wagon. Big 6 cylinder, stick shift with O/D. Between the 4 of them, they kept the Rambler pointed East stopping only for gas, eats, and bladder relief for just over 46 hours straight across the country. Think * Not complete interstate system yet.

Not against a resurrection of a good marque as AMC was. Just remember that the single last SUCCESSFUL auto entrepreneur in and for the USA, was Walter P. Chrysler from 1925. Politics? Money? Protectionist? Don't want to go that route. Just food for thought.
Ah, something we have a bit in common ...
The first Mopar my father and mother bought (that I can recall) was a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere. After owning it for a while, they felt they put up with too many niggling problems. Dad traded that one in on a 1960 Rambler Rebel Station Wagon. We didn't have a Rust problem, per se, we lived in Los Angeles, County in California - not on the beach, a bit inland a few miles.

The cross-country drive you describe would be real tour de force!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have owned several AMC products in the past. My neighbor back in 1966 had bought a Rambler marlin with a 287 V8. To me, it was a takeoff of the Dodge Charger/Plymouth Barracuda fastback. Like my Rambler Cross County wagons. Did you know Rambler was the first car maker here to use dual master cylinders (front and rear), uni-body construction, and the two way tailgate, even though Ford tried to say they did in the 60's! A lot of great ideas came from the Giant Killer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts