Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Before I start dismantiling the whole vehicle thought I'd ask the experts !!
Today, out of the blue my front right window desides to play dead. All other windows motors works fine but neither door switch will operate this front right window. This lends me to think the fuse is fine so are there any other checks I can do before removing the door panel? My next question would be is there a door panel dismantle procedure to explain the best way? Many thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I'd check that fuse first before removing the door panel. It's not a difficult procedure, but you have to make sure you've got all of the screws out befor you try to remove it. And you've got to be careful not to break any of the plastic mounting tabs too. They can be difficult to find replacements for unless you're close to a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Still don't rule out a switch as being the problem. The set of contacts in one front door switch has to be closed in order to allow current to flow from the other front door switch and raise and lower the glass.
Once you are at the motor terminals, use a 12 volt test light and try the switches to see if they light the light.
If the test light lights, then the switches are OK.
Many times it is the regulator cable and spool mechanism binding that prevents the glass from moving, in this case the regulator and motor are serviced as an assembly. Sometimes a fist thump on the trim panel or glass will get the glass moving again. The rubber glass channels and weatherstrips can stick to the glass or undercoat inside the doors can cause sticking.
The door trim panel may be hooked to the door and need to be lifted up to release the hooks from the door. The inside door latch link has to be unhooked from its retainer. Don't allow the trim panel to hang by the link.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Bad left switch will kill both switches for right side.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Agree. Likewise, a bad right switch will keep either switch from raising and lowering the glass.
The inside of a door can be a harsh environment for electrical components with weather and moisture exposure.
The switches can come apart for inspection and possible contact cleaning. You may see a black arc mark on the contact points.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the info.

Chuzz,

I looked in the manual and it shows only one fuse, are there others. The other windows work perfectly so I'm hoping that rulles of the fuse. Your right it would be nice to know how many screws there are so I dont start forceing with couple still in. I will look on-line for a detailed procedure.

Imperial, Crown and KOG

I remembered on my Labaron the driver side window swiched over time became water damaged that pevented the power from getting to the right door window switch so I will try to deturmine power to the right door first.

The window mechanism could be binding, I wonder if you would hear the window trying to operate.

The wires going into the door gromet are exposed close to the hinges and would be nice to know which wire carried the power to the motor (switch) and I have been known to stick a small pin in the wire to check for voltage. Wonder if anyone had a schematic for this.

Thanks for your help all.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Yep. Youtube is another place to find some very helpful videos of how tos from time to time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Chuzz, You mentioned checking the fuse, is there one for each door or just the one mentioned in the owners maunal?
Thanks, ......Dave...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts