Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be departing on our regular road trip from SE Michigan to San Antonio Texas to visit our son in about two weeks. While reading the mini Ram thread morph into a gas price detour, I started this thread to pose a question.

Our usual route is MI, OH, KY, TN, MO boot heel, AR, TX. Due to a recent change in Illinois' law (you live free or die types will understand), I no longer feel obligated to avoid the Lincoln state. I was thinking about a route through MI, OH, IN, IL, MO, AR, TX. Maybe take a small detour through Colombus IN (is there any other?) and visit the old stomping grounds.

So the question is; how do fuel prices compare between KY, TN vs IN, &IL?
The routes are similar in length, the only must do is overnight at Lake Charles, AR with Mrs JTE's sis.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
JTE -

You can compare the gas prices using Gasbuddy.com. At least that's what I would do.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Local Murphy and Fast Fuel has regular unleaded for $2.99 today. That's the cheapest I've seen anywhere. Mostly along the roads I travel, it's running $3..08 to $3.14 per gallon for the regular.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
What hwy are you taking on tx I live a couple hrs north of San Antonio. Gas across the street is 3.19 but in the town where I work its 299 and in Lampasas its 2.89.
Enjoy your trip and be safe.
Mick

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I notice that a direct line pretty much travels through corners on just about all the states on the way. Especially noticeable is the conjunction between Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, and (almost) Indiana.

Not that it helps any, just an observation :)

For what it's worth, here are 2 routes from Detroit to San Antonio, the 2nd one avoiding toll roads. Both are about equal time and distance, surprisingly. So, avoid tolls?

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9FD#Y3A9MzguMzg4OTAzfi05MC44NDAxOTImbHZsPTUmc3R5PXImcnRwPXBvcy40Mi4zMzE2ODBfLTgzLjA0NzkyMF9EZXRyb2l0JTJDJTIwTUlfX19lX35wb3MuMjkuNDI0NTgwXy05OC40OTQ2MTRfU2FuJTIwQW50b25pbyUyQyUyMFRYX19fZV8mbW9kZT1EJnJ0b3A9MH4wfjB+

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9FD#Y3A9MzYuMzI4MDE0fi05MC43NzEyNjUmbHZsPTUmc3R5PXImcnRwPXBvcy40Mi4zMzE2ODBfLTgzLjA0NzkyMF9EZXRyb2l0JTJDJTIwTUlfX19lX35wb3MuMjkuNDI0NTgwXy05OC40OTQ2MTRfU2FuJTIwQW50b25pbyUyQyUyMFRYX19fZV8mbW9kZT1EJnJ0b3A9MH4wfjB+JmF2PTg=

·
Registered
699 Posts
Illinois is still a gas tax rippoff state. Putting even gas tax money into the system is distasteful. If I have to go there, I fill up in another state and carry gas in gas cans just so they don't get my gas money tax.
Avoid it for this and the other reasons. As to Indiana. the farther north you go, the higher gas is. And it is one of the most boring drives east of the Mississippi.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
So... I35 got too boring? ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MoparNorm said:
So... I35 got too boring? ;)
He'll no! You shoulda seen the hood of the Jeep jumpin around driving south on 35 at 70 mph with 40 mph gusts out of the SW.

One thing I learned, just because you're in Texas, dosent mean you're almost there.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Ha! Ha!
16 hours from Ft. Stockton to El Paso, with a damaged trailer tire, was not a fun drive!
Have you gone from Columbus to Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, then across I-30 to Dallas?
Lots of knickknack shops to break up the drive. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts