Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has ran 4 Silver State races, runs a 100 shot of nitrous at the strip and has demonstrated to a few Mustang owners annd several BMW owners what a poor choice they made in purchasing a car. There was no noise from the engine so I thought I had blow the top ring land. I was about 300 miles from home a limped in, had I known what the failure was I am not sure I would have continued driving.

I had a Crower torque cam, the engine will be rebuilt with a bigger cam and capable of a 200 shot..

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Was this a factory roller lifter or a Crower lifter? I had two Crower solid lift cams, one swiped half the lobes and made me get a Uhaul truck and flatbed to get it the last 300miles home, replacement instantly showed signs of scraping after cam break-in. Crower is about ten miles south of me, I won't buy their cams again, but I have had good luck with them re-grinding stock cams in the past. Sorry to hear about the lifter, but sounds like you have been having fun in the meantime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was a factory roller lifter. I live about 30 miles north of Crower and have used many of their cams. In my rebuild I am uusing a regrind of a 6.1 billet cam, the regrind was done by Crower in Temecula. I don't know the family tree, but it is a blood relative of the founder. The lobe with the broken roller was the only one showing damage.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Considering 135K miles, which is quite a few for such a new engine, that's a lot of driving. Needless to say, was it pitting of the cam lobe itself that ate the lifter or are you able to tell how the failure actually happened? I had a 3.9 with all the lobes pitted at 150K and the roller lifters showed no damage, so your failure was definitely a rare occurance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't tell which came first.

I am also on a very large Lx forum and this is the first failure of that type.

Rebuilt and running. It was noted when balancing, my rotating assembly was very light.

Now, get some miles on it, get it tuned for a 200 shot and get to the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts