Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have no idea about cars, but I am in a bit of a bind. I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan and my check engine light came on last week. The local car shop read the code which said "solenoid stuck on low/reverse". I took it to a transmission place he recommended and got a free estimate. They said the Solenoid Valve Switch needs replacing and the total will be $518 out the door. I don't know if that is fair or not, but I do know I don't have that off hand and won't for a few weeks maybe. Is it safe to drive the van with this problem? Will it do any further damage? Any info would be helpful, and thank you I'm advance!

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. This is fault code P1776 if you wanted to Google for more information on the issue. Generally the LR/TCC shuttle valve in the valve body wears and sticks in its bores. The valve body has to be replaced and the price sounds pretty fair for both parts and labor.
There was also a software update for the TCM (transaxle control module) for a harsh 4-3 downshift: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/PENTICO/2010-02-26_031308_stratus.pdf
See if they might also be so kind as to install the new software and perform a quicklearn for you in order to complete the service?
As long as it isn't going into 'limp-in' (2nd gear default), it should be OK to drive for now. It wouldn't be something that would strand you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as it isn't going into 'limp-in' (2nd gear default), it should be OK to drive for now. It wouldn't be something that would strand you

How do I know if it is going into limp-in mode? Is that something I can ask the shop?

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
You would know. It would stay in 2nd gear and wouldn't shift up or down. Limp-in will get you home or to the shop.
You can do 55 mph, but the engine will be revving around 4000 RPM. Still safe to drive and still below redline, but not nice to drive like this for very long. Limp-in gives you Park, Reverse, Neutral and 2nd gear.
This fault code can be intermittent and as long as your transaxle is still shifting normally, you should be OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all your information, it has been very helpful! From your description, im pretty sure It is not in limp in, seems to shift fine and can drive 55-60mph and the rpm isn't high. Hopefully I can come up with $500 soon so I can get it fixed within a couple weeks. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts