Allpar Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,500 Posts
You assume these new proposals actually go into effect. They have been rolled back before.
True. While I am not a fan of too much "ping-pong" policies (some I think are unavoidable) and understand the need for change (e.g. less pollution in general) I can also understand that what is needed in California or NY might be different from Montana and Wyoming for example...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Leaving sales on the table.
More sales =/= better profit. There's always a balance point somewhere where you're better off doing something else to manage risk.

Reactions: GasAxe

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dave:
I didn't get to watch the entirety of this morning's webcast with "Carlos Tavares & Friends".

Did anyone on the webcast mention an actual number of vans involved in this Amazon agreement?
I missed it, sorry.

·
Administrator
39,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
True. While I am not a fan of too much "ping-pong" policies (some I think are unavoidable) and understand the need for change (e.g. less pollution in general) I can also understand that what is needed in California or NY might be different from Montana and Wyoming for example...
Although true, if we're talking about carbon dioxide and methane, Montana and Wyoming both have skin in the game, too, even if they won't admit it. I hear there are a lot of tornados this year, and the weird weather extremes don't help anyone. Certainly they don't help anyone who has stock in Suburban Propane - what's with these warm winters in the northeast?

PS> I really like the JackGas service ;)

·
Jeepaholic
6,642 Posts
They are. Drove past Carman the other day and NuCar and saw tumbleweed rolling across the parking lot. I feel bad for the salesmen.
They have more vehicles there than some, though a bunch seem to be used vehicles. Anchor Buick/GMC over in Elkton looks like they could play football between the vehicles on the lot.

Reactions: Donte Lindsey

·
Jeepaholic
6,642 Posts

·
Administrator
39,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I feel bad for the salesmen.
Don't. They're selling cars now for ten times the profit they used to get, so their bonuses are at historic levels. Car dealership profits broke a record in 2021.

Turns out selling one car for $5,000 profit is more profitable than selling five cars for $500 profit per car, and pre-selling cars before they arrive at the dealership saves a lot of money on floor-plan loans.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Don't. They're selling cars now for ten times the profit they used to get, so their bonuses are at historic levels. Car dealership profits broke a record in 2021.

Turns out selling one car for $5,000 profit is more profitable than selling five cars for $500 profit per car, and pre-selling cars before they arrive at the dealership saves a lot of money on floor-plan loans.
Hmmmmmm......Sergio's old chestnut of margins over volume......only carried out to its most ridiculous absurd extreme.

Auto sales has never been thought of highly to start with......And now this asinine behavior will only serve to strengthen the movement to do away with the dealership model altogether!

And I thought NFL Football team owners were a vile disgusting greedy bunch! 💲 💲 💲

·
Administrator
39,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Auto sales has never been thought of highly to start with......And now this asinine behavior will only serve to strengthen the movement to do away with the dealership model altogether!

And I thought NFL Football team owners were a vile disgusting greedy bunch! 💲 💲 💲
Auto dealership owners say they are the most respected, most honest people in the world, to anyone who will listen. I am sure they believe it, even if nobody else does.

I think most people think of them
as being more like this guy.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Dodge Challenger Finally Beats Down Ford Mustang in 2021 Sales

Maybe they shouldn't be so quick to pull the plug on building the Charger and Challengers ;)

Also, it looks like Ford will continue to build ICE Mustangs until 2028, and with less competition with the Charger and Challengers out of the picture.

·
Registered
465 Posts

I actually came on here to edit that comment after I talked to my buddy that sells Chevy's. They're doing exactly what you're saying plus more. Needless to say I won't be buying anything from him and my sympathy has dwindled.

·
Administrator
39,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
Numbers by segment are out at GCBC.

Small cars 1,253,775.
Includes several small midsize models, specifically Civic 114 cu ft, Elantra 113 cu ft, Impreza 112 cu ft and Forte 111 cu ft.
Midsize cars 980,754** (1,089,605).
Kia K5 strangely missing from their list driving the number under 1 million, number with K5 1,089,605. Of course Accord, Sonata, K5 and Legacy are actually large.
Large cars 130,466.
The 112 cu ft Maxima and 119 cu ft Avalon are ignorantly placed in this category by the website. Maxima isn't even close to large, having slightly less interior room than Civic sedan.
Sports cars 264,475.
Sports car numbers are strangely inflated, counting A5, 2 series and Giulia as sports cars. 2 Gran Coupe and Giulia are as normal as small compact and small midsize sedans get (ignoring that Giulia is still RWD, a very small minority of midsize cars). A5 is the now rarely seen in the US midsize liftback sedan, that doesn't make it a sports car.

All cars 2,738,321

Small SUV 3,336,191
Midsize SUV 2,796,967
Large SUV 393,643

All SUVs 6,526,801

Pickups all sizes 2,842,479

It is clear that SUVs are now the most popular vehicle, it is also clear that most of them are just raised FWD/AWD compact and midsize station wagons and hatchbacks. At the smallest level they don't even raise them, they just throw CUV on them and count them as if they were SUVs (UX, C-HR, X2, Venue, Countryman, MX-30, Kicks, X1).

Cars remain about as popular as pickup trucks. Stellantis has its work cut out for it restoring Dodge and Chrysler to the mainstream segments (small and midsize cars and SUVs).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Not sure what's going on here near Winnipeg. The Stellantis lots are pretty much from of Ram trucks and Jeeps of various types from new Grand Cherokees to Gladiators.

Ford and GM lots are empty. Ford did have a new 4 door bronco but it was sold in less than a week...

Wil

21 - 38 of 38 Posts