Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: I'm about the 'pull the trigger' on a generic automotive scan tool for work and really don't want to cough up the $$$$ for the Modus or any of it's relatives but a $150 code reader won't have enough features for my purposes. I'm a front end/alignment tech and would like to deal with ABS and stability control issues as well as basic driveability.

I realize that OBD I vehicles are dropping off fast, even here in rustfree Arizona but would still like to have some basic scan capabilities for them. I say 'OBD I' since the OBD II stuff is becoming quite inexpensive.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

I'm still doing research and have more questions than answers............if I want to go past a basic OBD II code reader unit.

·
KOG
6,995 Posts
Amazon has EVO kits listed from 976 to over 4000 depending on application.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ImperialCrown said:
We have an OTC Genisys at work to handle the makes that the Chrysler DRB/WiTech won't.
It does a wide range of years and vehicles with all the accessories.
http://www.genisysotc.com/features.php
Nice tool but almost $4,000 is way out of my price range :(

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
what is your Budget, because to get a decent scantool that does all the stuff you want is going to cost a LOT of $$$$ your only choice is probably going to be the SnapOn MT2500, as those can be had very cheaply now (but you won't be able to read CAN Bus equipped vehicles)

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
It is difficult for a premium scan tool to pay for itself when used for personal use-only duty. Money buys capability. Used is OK as long as the manufacturer still supports it.
Would your employer consider it a money-maker for the business and invest in a really good one? Does your shop also have Alldata access?
All light trucks have had ABS (RWAL) for over 20 years. Everything nowadays has ABS. Most vehicles have ESC/ESP and active steering/suspensions are out there.
Being able to read a multitude of dash warning lights is a plus for any shop if it is advertised, although you might want to advise and defer some work that is out of your realm to specialized shops or dealers.
Chrysler started CAN bus in 2004 with the new Durango and Sprinter and phased it in as new models came out. Minivans were the last to get it in 2008.
It is difficult for any independent shop to have the latest equipment, but as you say there are lots of OBD1 and OBD2 out there and will be for some time.
It's not something that a small service facility can do in the LOF bay or DIY can just do in his driveway. People will pay for this diagnostic service.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shop I work for is not exactly a 'prosperous' one and they do have a Modus but I'd like to have my own scan tool especially if I decide to move on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Check out the Innova 3120b it comes with adapters for a variety of OBD-1 connectors which varied by manufacturers.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm leaning towards this critter:

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MD80/OBD-II-SCANNER-FIX-ADVISOR-PRO/

Somewhat pricey but it should do what I need. However: the capability to calibrate the stability control on a newer vehicle if the steering wheel was removed and was reinstalled off a few splines is an issue for me, hopefully this scanner has the software to do just that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts