Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Oops, I meant what scan tool is needed?
I did not use the recommended tire size of 225 65 17 I am using 235 65 17 .
I do not believe this would make a difference but, i am sure the batteries on my sensors
must be going out. I am sick of the chime and the indicator about the tire pressure.
i dealt with the light by putting a sticker on top of it so i do not have to look at it but, i cannot silence the TPM chime. I do not want to replace all sensors at once I want to replace them as they go and I would like to know how to find out which sensor is causing the chime. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
Diagnose first. Many of the larger tire service centers have this scan tool as well as it can be read at a Chrysler dealership.
Schrader (and others) market this tool to the tire stores. Call around to see who has one and what they charge to read codes? It may or may not even be a sensor battery or a tp sensor issue:
Scan & Programming Tools
The instrument cluster EVIC with the premium TPM can tell you what tire it is if you have that option, otherwise it is the yellow tire/exclamation point light.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diagnose first. Many of the larger tire service centers have this scan tool as well as it can be read at a Chrysler dealership.
Schrader (and others) market this tool to the tire stores. Call around to see who has one and what they charge to read codes? It may or may not even be a sensor battery or a tp sensor issue:
Scan & Programming Tools
The instrument cluster EVIC with the premium TPM can tell you what tire it is if you have that option, otherwise it is the yellow tire/exclamation point light.
How do you know if you have the EVIC with the premium TPM. Would that be indicated in the VIN number?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The Premium TPMS usually has a display in the EVIC reading out the actual pressure of each tire at their relative position.
The Base TPMS usually just has a warning light, to tell you if the pressure of any one or more tires is off, or if the system is NOT working right.

If you have the premium, you can lower and raise the tire pressure and see if the readout corresponds appropriately. If it does NOT, then you have found the bad tire sensor. With the Base System you need the scan tool to read the pressure of each tire.

A different overall tire diameter needs to be programmed into the module handling ABS/BAS/Stability Control and traction control. But you would get a Traction/ABS/BAS warning lights, NOT TPMS warning lights. The difference in your tire diameters may be small enough to NOT trigger any problems in the Traction/ABS/BAS stability control, etc.

Reactions: TaxiGirl

·
Registered
299 Posts
the chime is likely the same one I have tried to get to twice now. its up high in the dash in the center, drivers side .I can feel it i just can't quite grasp it to pull apart. I have felt the wrapping and anchors holding it. I would guess if you REALLY wanted to pull the dash apart it would be easy.. best of luck!

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,098 Posts
I upsized the tires on my '07 Jeep from 245/65-17 to 245/70-17 (1" taller) and never got a warning or code of any kind. As long as all 4 tires are the same size I doubt changing the tire size is the cause, but I guess different vehicles can react differently to such changes. Did the same thing with our '17 JK Wrangler (went from the stock 225/75-16s to 245/75-16, 1" taller) and no issues at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts