Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching the threads to see if anyone has had a experience with using Sea Foam in their transmissions. Anyone have any direct experience with it working or not, and what are the details. Trying to get some actual experiences from members. I want to put it in a 2000 GVoyager 3.3 - 4 speed.

Im getting some hard downshifting from either 3-2 or 2-1 when slowing/stopping quickly. No problems shifting up.

BTW, anyone know how many total quarts are in this transmission? I think its a 41-TE, right? When you drop the pan and drain, are you getting ALL the fluid out?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have never use a any cleaner or additive in my Chrysler Trans(s) All you should have to do is a Service with ATF +4 and change the filter. That should help with harsh down shifting.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Use ATF+4 only in that unit.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
A pan drop will remove 4 qts. of fluid. If you let it drain overnight you will get more, up to 5 qts.
The fluid capacity is about 9 qts. so a pan drop will get about 45% of the old fluid, more if you let it drain overnight.
Use +4 fluid or Amsoil syntheic as I do. My 94 GC A604 just loves the stuff as did my old 92 Caravan 4 speed and my now departed 95 LHS A606. (And no, I don't sell the stuff).
Many people swear by the Lucas miracle in a bottle product but change the fluid first and see what happens. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
517 Posts
Does my '88 3.0 need ATF-4? Did it even exist then?

Bought it used with 103K mi and all I've ever used is Dexron.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
Agree. The older transmissions/transaxles used ATF+3 (discontinued) and Dexron will work fine in those applications. The ATF+4 is required on newer transaxles (since about 11/95) with the revised internal clutch material and seals. ATF+3 superseded to ATF+4.
ATF+4 is more expensive, but is a semi-synthetic better all-around fluid with many superior characteristics compared to the older Dexron/Mercon, or what is now common on parts store shelves: the generic Dex/Merc.
Although I have heard of wrong dipsticks in vehicles, the dipstick will tell you what fluid to put in. If the dealer has rebuilt the transmission since 1996 with the newer clutches, use ATF+4 for best results.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It has been rebuilt twice since then, first one was a disaster!

However, rebuilds were by independents (not chains), so would they have used newer clutches?

If so, I'll start using 4 as you suggest.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In reading some articles here on Allpar, the early minivan TFs were originally designated to run with Dexron. Engineers later discovered that Dexron was not right due to reliability issues, but by then dipsticks had been made showing Dexron as the preferred fluid. There were TSBs sent out that changed the fluid requirement to ATF+3. +3 was the correct fluid from that point on in all TF transmissions until the synthetic ATF+4 formulation was made and production was stopped on ATF+3. ATF+4 is the correct fluid now for ALL TF transmissions (but not all transmissions used in Chrysler products), including the 1st Gen minivan automatics.

Forget additives and cleaners. Just do a complete change out of your fluid periodically and put in a new filter. Your transmission will work well for a long time.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
PCRMike said:
No, the three speed used Dexron just fine in my experience.
According to the owners manual for a 1987 K car, they recommend Mopar type 7176 in the three speed trans. Which has been superseded with ATF+3 and now ATF+4

The most you will get out of the trans is about 4 qts. You will not get the fluid out of the differential or the torque converter.

There is a service bulletin on the hard 2- 1 downshift. The problem that I have seen with the A604/ 41TE 4 speed trans is the trans is very slow to step down through the gears when you come to a stop, such as for a stop sign. If you do not wait for the trans and step on the gas the trans will be in between gears and basically slam into 1st gear to go. Basically this is similar to a neutral drop when someone is trying to squeal the tires on their car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts