Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have '02 Sebring convertible with 2.7 engine, 107k miles. Plugs replaced at 90k. Car started to misfire a few days ago. Checked codes and have 0305 misfire, cylinder #5 and 0205 injector circuit, cylinder #5. Problem only happens when engine is up to full temperature after running for 10 or 20 minutes. After cool down, engine starts and runs fine but misfires again when up to temperature after 10 to 20 minutes. Cycle repeats. Once it starts to misfire it continues until engine is shut off and cooled down. Also, when misfiring starts check engine light flashes. Seems to be heat related, but not really sure. Any ideas as to problem? Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
21,371 Posts
Fuel injectors may act up when warm. I would swap it with an adjacent injector and see if the misfiring cylinder follows the injector.
Or if you can get at the injector, try some cooling aerosol spray to see if the engine smoothes out when you rapidly cool the warm injector.
P0205 is an electrical fault and not a mechanical fault with the fuel injector.
It is not recommended to continue driving the car while the 'ck eng' light is flashing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Swap a coil pack from 5 to another cylinder on the opposite bank and see what codes get thrown. You can elimate or identify a coil pack as the cause of misfires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. If P0205 is an electrical fault and not a mechanical fault with the fuel injector, what electrical component is in the circuit that maybe failing? You can't get at the injectors without removing the plenum, so swapping them is a major task. I'll also try switching the coil packs. At least I can get at them more readily then the injector. Any other thoughts would be very welcomed and much appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, in looking at engine on both banks near the coils for #5 and #6 there's a green wire that goes to a small black device about a 3/4" x 3/8" to engine ground. Someone told me this is a capacitor. What is this for? Capacitors can be affected by heat. Could this be related to problem I have??

·
Super Moderator
21,371 Posts
A faulty ignition coil pack would not cause P0205 which is an injector fault. A non-operational #5 cylinder fuel injector 'could' cause both P0205 and P0305.
P0205 could also be the wiring to and/or from the injector or the internal PCM driver being the problem.
The small black device is a capacitor to filter electrical spikes that might cause radio noise. I doubt that it is faulty as it would affect all injectors or coils and not just #5.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not to make your life more complicated but I have a 2002 Sebring I purchased for $500 (care is immaculate inside and out). It is making a rod noise. Doing some research on the 2.7L v6 engine I was rather shocked at it's rather short sited design in some respects.
#1. The water pump is INTERNAL to the engine. And has to be changed at 100K miles.
WHY WHY WHY did they put the water pump INSIDE the engine???
That is CRAZY because if the pump starts to leak (it will) and dump coolant in the oil, you have a chain reaction that will destroy the engine quickly.
#2. The timing chain has to be changed at 100K miles also. With this the tensioner, sliders etc associated with the chain. This is an interference engine. If you loose you valve timing, they will hit the pistons. Kiss it goodbye.
Now the timing change issue; really I can't fault the design. But when it goes the damage is catastrophic. But really it may go 300K without a problem if maintenance is ideal. (how often does that happen??)

I'm going to see how this repair on this Sebring I purchased goes.
I noticed several Chrysler for sale cheap with this engine gone bad including a 02 Sebring convertible for sale locally for $800. Just over 100K miles, bad engine. Car is super clean inside and out. Because the engine has poor longevity the overall value of cars with this engine is very low. Bad engine, they can be had dirty cheap. BUT it would be hard to come out ahead if you didn't intend to keep the car for yourself.
Book value is 3 to 4K even for a loaded car with low miles. I purchased this one for my wife so we can park our 04 Hemi Durango which is eating us up on gas.

·
Super Moderator
21,371 Posts
I don't know what that has to do with this thread, but there were some early 2.7L's with failed water pumps.
There is no factory scheduled maintenance on the 2.7L water pump or timing chain. You may be thinking of the 100K mile maintenance for a timing belt on other engines.
There was a weep hole added to outside of the engine, but a catastrophic pump or tensioner failure would dump coolant into the oil pan.
If it was caught early you could still save the engine. If the car didn't start because of this, it many times would save the engine's life.
There are some other engine designs that use a chain driven internal water pump besides Chrysler.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved, I hope.
Since injectors are hidden and access to wires at PCM are difficult to get at. In fact, everything in a Sebring is jammed packed into engine compartment.
I elected to bite the bullet and remove plenum and replace #5 injector. Old injector read about 13 ohms. Now I had that sinking feeling it was good and not the problem. Replace with new injector. Started engine and it still had misfire.(#&$%) Shut off and cleared all codes. Started engine again and it ran fine. It’s been running great for the last 5 days under all conditions, so I’m confident problem is solved with new injector. My belief is the injector coil was heat sensitive which caused an open when hot. I've seen this in my field of electronics when parts are heat sensitive and fail only when hot.
As to why it still misfired after initial injector replacement is a mystery. Maybe PCM had to reset? If I have time, one day I’ll put bad injector in an oven and heat it up then measure coil. Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your trouble shooting help. It was very helpful and greatly appreciated.

PS. ToDr. Righteous, Change the oil on 2.7 engine every 3k miles religiously to keep it alive. A little longer if you use full Synthetic. This engine does not like Sludge. Timing chain and tensioner should last well passed 100k with no problems if oil is change often..

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not to make your life more complicated but I have a 2002 Sebring I purchased for $500 (care is immaculate inside and out). It is making a rod noise. Doing some research on the 2.7L v6 engine I was rather shocked at it's rather short sited design in some respects.
#1. The water pump is INTERNAL to the engine. And has to be changed at 100K miles.
WHY WHY WHY did they put the water pump INSIDE the engine???
That is CRAZY because if the pump starts to leak (it will) and dump coolant in the oil, you have a chain reaction that will destroy the engine quickly.
#2. The timing chain has to be changed at 100K miles also. With this the tensioner, sliders etc associated with the chain. This is an interference engine. If you loose you valve timing, they will hit the pistons. Kiss it goodbye.
Now the timing change issue; really I can't fault the design. But when it goes the damage is catastrophic. But really it may go 300K without a problem if maintenance is ideal. (how often does that happen??)

I'm going to see how this repair on this Sebring I purchased goes.
I noticed several Chrysler for sale cheap with this engine gone bad including a 02 Sebring convertible for sale locally for $800. Just over 100K miles, bad engine. Car is super clean inside and out. Because the engine has poor longevity the overall value of cars with this engine is very low. Bad engine, they can be had dirty cheap. BUT it would be hard to come out ahead if you didn't intend to keep the car for yourself.
Book value is 3 to 4K even for a loaded car with low miles. I purchased this one for my wife so we can park our 04 Hemi Durango which is eating us up on gas.
I had 175000 miles on mine, original everything, never had any issues with noise or knocking or oil usage. That was in an 02 Stratus RT sedan 5 speed. I did change the oil with Mobil 1 every 3000 to 4000 miles for peace of mind, flushed coolant every 50K with OE coolant. But as ImperialCrown said, there are no maintenance schedules that say you must change those components. I never did, maybe I was lucky. I drove that car hard and the engine never missed a beat. Change the PCV valve on a regular basis, I did mine every 30K miles. They cost under $10. But yes there are issues with this engine, that can't be denied. I just know there are a few good ones out there too:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts