Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

does anybody know the minimum speed for the TE41 Transmission of a Sebring JR MY2006 for the torque
converter to lock up?
Is there any diffrence between the shift schedules and minumum speeds for the TCC lock up regarding the MY of Sebrings 2001, 2004 and 2006?
AFAIK the earlier models of the JR body have a seperate Transmission and a SPC ECU. My current Sebring has a NGC3 ECU with a built in TCM.

It would be really great if somebody has some information on this.

Thanks in advance and best regards from germany!

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,713 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Which engine, 2.4L or 2.7L?
Torque converter clutch (TCC) lock-up will vary with engine temperature, speed and load. What symptoms are you having?
I generally feel lock-up as another 'shift' after 4th (OD) gear at about 68-72 km/h (42-45 mph) on level road with normal acceleration.
The 2002-up NGC was a combined PCM and TCM in one housing with 4 connectors. I think that the lock-up behavior and speeds were roughly similar over the model years.

From the service manual:
"The engagement and disengagement of the TCC are automatic and controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The engagement cannot be activated in the lower gears because it eliminates the torque multiplication effect of the torque converter necessary for acceleration. Inputs that determine clutch engagement are: coolant temperature, vehicle speed and throttle position. The torque converter clutch is engaged by the clutch solenoid on the valve body. The clutch will engage at approximately 56 km/h (35 mph) with light throttle, after the shift to third (3rd) gear".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer and detailed information on this.
The symptoms I have: The TCC locks up at already at 25 mph (40kmh) in 3rd gear if the rpm is below 2000 and the rpm drops from 1750 rpm
to 1250. it is necessary to raise the rpm above 2000 to reopen the torque converter. This seems to me very unusual as my previous Sebrings wirh SPC ECU did not have this behaviour. They all have lock up speeds at about 40-42 mph and the lock up only happend in 4th gear.

I had the P0218 and changed the Transmission Range Sensor but the ATF was not over temperature. I checked the radiator, the cooling lines
and the engine temperature was always ok. I also changed the solenoid pack an did a quick learn procedure with a DRBIII to the newest software version by flashing the ECU. There are no DTCs, temperature of coolant is okay and of course the fluid level is OK and I changed the fluid with mopar ATF4. The transmission never smelled burned or somethin.

So I am really overwhelmed why the TCC lockup happens that early. Next thing I will do is to replace the ECU.

What do you think can be the problem?

Many thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts