Allpar Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Excellent!!

For its size, I find 2.7's to be durable, economical and peppy with a willingness to rev effortlessly.

Essentially a smaller Pentastar, it's too bad Chrysler let owners down so bad, ruining their reputation.

I think the 2010 Sebring was available with a 2.7 6 speed, that would be a nice combo.

Thanks
Randy
If this car had a manual transmission it would be perfect! And yes this engine revs very high and very smooth I am really enjoying it.

·
Super Moderator
39,995 Posts
If this car had a manual transmission it would be perfect! And yes this engine revs very high and very smooth I am really enjoying it.
For a few of years around 2004 or so, Chrysler offered the 2.7 with a five speed manual transmission in the Chrysler Sebring GTC convertible. There was also a 2.7 5 speed offered in the Stratus sedan, maybe the R/T, around the same time.
After that the Sebring/200 and Stratus/Avenger made do with the 4 speed auto then finally the six speed auto.
I think the 2.7 5 speed is a pretty rare combo.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I found a guy who is researching if he can tune my pcm hes going to see how much power he can squeeze out of my 2.7. Is it possible I will have one of the only tuned 2.7's out there? I have looked everywhere and have not seen a single tuned 2.7!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There it is guys final test drive complete.
I rescued this car from the scrapper and did something most people wouldn't do!
Drives really nice , plenty of passing power,
And fits my 6'2 frame very nicely. So this car must have sat for a while here is the list of everything that was wrong with it.
1. Engine 2. Fuel pump 3. Alternator 4. Rear struts 5. Front brakes. Project is complete and this is officially my gas mileage car. One Mopar saved !
And it will still be good looking and useful for the better part of the next decade. You won, Panteras9. My new hero.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
You might try getting in touch with fellow member Myckee. He does some nice stuff with the PT Cruiser pcm's. I don't know if he could help you or not, but you never know unless you ask! What say you, Myckee?

·
Registered
435 Posts
For a few of years around 2004 or so, Chrysler offered the 2.7 with a five speed manual transmission in the Chrysler Sebring GTC convertible. There was also a 2.7 5 speed offered in the Stratus sedan, maybe the R/T, around the same time.
After that the Sebring/200 and Stratus/Avenger made do with the 4 speed auto then finally the six speed auto.
I think the 2.7 5 speed is a pretty rare combo.
I had both a 2001 2.7 sedan automatic and a 2002 RT sedan with a 5 speed at one time. The 2.7 with the 5 speed was a ton of fun. I owned them both at the same time so I had an accurate comparison. My 2001 is still running today. Sold it to a friend of mine. Had the car 17 years. No complaints with the power train. Really was only very minor work needed over all those years. Just a lot of synthetic oil changes :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did a replacement of the blown up engine in the sebring 2.7 sedan I bought.
Pretty in depth job got the sebring for dirt cheap and going to use it as a commuter. The old engine had bent valves due to someone doing a shade tree water pump replacement. Anyway got the old engine out transferred all parts and back in. Still have to do the wiring harness and exhaust. Here is to the 28 mpg it should get on the highway.
Hi there. I own the same car and may need a replacement or rebuilt 2.7. I’m wondering if you have heard of removing the engine and transmission out the bottom instead of going out the front?

·
Super Moderator
39,995 Posts
Hi there. I own the same car and may need a replacement or rebuilt 2.7. I’m wondering if you have heard of removing the engine and transmission out the bottom instead of going out the front?
Out the bottom as a combined assembly is the common method for this type of work on a FWD car - assuming you have a facility to lift the car enough to clear the engine and transmission once it’s on the ground.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts