Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang.

So I'm looking to replace the fuel lines on my 86 LeBaron Wagon as they are beginning to show signs of decay worth resolving before it is too late.

I am wondering if any of you know of any existing part number(s) for the fuel lines and if there are any OE alternatives that you recommend.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it possible to find the lines as an assembly rather than a spool of fuel lines which would need to be delicately bent and routed from tank to injector?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
38,335 Posts
Most likely you will end up bending lines as the odds are you won't find any NOS ones. But here is the parts manual if you want to look up numbers and search for them. But to me it looks like all they spec in the parts book is bulk (bend to fit) line.
http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD2/82-96PassCar/86p.PDF

You could also try Fine Lines (there my be a few other vendors too) to see if they've done pre-bent lines for your car:
SSTubes/Fine Lines- Replacement Automotive Lines (at https://www.sstubes.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw4MP5BRBtEiwASfwAL8kCgatpY0zIFeuRbiLROG1FoC-xSjdllnE4L7HzXmioE4H09uHTqRoC4vMQAvD_BwE )

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
I did find a 3rd party company that sold Chrysler factory pre-bent and pre-bundled fuel lines for my 92 Dakota, in 2017. The mfg date was 2016. But it was $200 plus $100 shipping.
You can buy fuel line, bend your own and install it for probably 1/3 of that, including the fuel injection hose and clamps.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Is a wagon different from a sedan??

A guy on T-M found that Monte Carlo lines were about perfect for K's. (1997) ??

The link above has illustrations of their various kits.

Thanks
Randy

Hey gang.

So I'm looking to replace the fuel lines on my 86 LeBaron Wagon as they are beginning to show signs of decay worth resolving before it is too late.

I am wondering if any of you know of any existing part number(s) for the fuel lines and if there are any OE alternatives that you recommend.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it possible to find the lines as an assembly rather than a spool of fuel lines which would need to be delicately bent and routed from tank to injector?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That Fine Lines website is definitely top notch, thanks Val! However, they don't seem to have a single Chrysler option for any of the product they offer.

As for what Randy suggested.. They do offer 78-88 fuel line for monte carlo -- I'd be curious if someone knew more about a possible fitment for the K.. (to my untrained eye it does seem to match the shaping of the lines in my 86)

Moreso, I did a quick search on the net. Looks like it is fairly impossible to find NOS or anything direct fit -- to be expected....

I've never did hard lines myself, and honestly I'd be willing to learn. But it does seem like risky business..

I spoke with a mechanic friend of mine who suggested its best to not flare your own tubing (because you run the risk of improper seals) and instead use factory flaring and unions.

I'm interested what some of you might also suggest in terms of tubing, bending, flaring, unions, etc.

Thanks for the replies!

V

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That Fine Lines website is definitely top notch, thanks Val! However, they don't seem to have a single Chrysler option for any of the product they offer.

As for what Randy suggested.. They do offer 78-88 fuel line for monte carlo -- I'd be curious if someone knew more about a possible fitment for the K.. (to my untrained eye it does seem to match the shaping of the lines in my 86)

Moreso, I did a quick search on the net. Looks like it is fairly impossible to find NOS or anything direct fit -- to be expected....

I've never did hard lines myself, and honestly I'd be willing to learn. But it does seem like risky business..

I spoke with a mechanic friend of mine who suggested its best to not flare your own tubing (because you run the risk of improper seals) and instead use factory flaring and unions.

I'm interested what some of you might also suggest in terms of tubing, bending, flaring, unions, etc.

Thanks for the replies!

V
I would try doing it myself.. and we will be when we get to that stage of building our M37. The tools are not that expensive and have used them for plumbing other things. I'm thinking that a way to test the hard lines before installing would be a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
I did flaring on replacement fuel lines before - it's easier to do the bubble flare than a brake line double flare. Be sure to use fuel injection band clamps, and I would recommend doubling up on them to be certain of no leaks. Doing so, I had no trouble. No prior experience, but inexpensive tools allowed me to do a good job.

Reactions: chuzz and valiant67

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be sure to use fuel injection band clamps.
You're talking about the clamps that go from hard-line to rubber fuel hose correct?

Also, could someone give me some tips on using unions with fuel line? Also, i assume doing the fuel lines should pretty much be 100% identical to the ones currently on there -- right? As a complete run from section to section without any modifications?

Does anyone know off hand the size of fuel line recommended for a non-turbo 2.5 L ?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Any Turbo or N/A lines I've seen are 1/4" and 5/16"

You need proper brake line adapters that accept flare nuts, not compression unions.

EG: Dorman 785-437 in your size

Thanks
Randy

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
You're talking about the clamps that go from hard-line to rubber fuel hose correct?

Also, could someone give me some tips on using unions with fuel line? Also, i assume doing the fuel lines should pretty much be 100% identical to the ones currently on there -- right? As a complete run from section to section without any modifications?

Does anyone know off hand the size of fuel line recommended for a non-turbo 2.5 L ?
Supply line is 5/16", return and vent lines are 1/4". Don't mix up the two 1/4" lines.
Compression fittings are probably illegal - they are for brakes in MA. Metal lines can be spliced in short sections with good-quality fuel injection hose rated for either 30R9 or 100R6 (higher pressure ratings). Don't use 30R6 or 30R7 - they are for carburetors and/or lower pressure return lines only.
These are the proper clamps:
GRAINGER APPROVED 1/2" Wide, Interlocked Fuel Injection Hose Clamp; PK10 - 5CZC4|52F13 - Grainger (at https://www.grainger.com/product/5CZC4?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj9WIiYrQ6wIVSrzACh14IQO-EAQYASABEgL6BfD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIj9WIiYrQ6wIVSrzACh14IQO-EAQYASABEgL6BfD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281698275804!!!g!500456302924!&gucid=N:N:pS:paid:GGL:CSM-2295:QLWKY4:20500731 )

Reactions: GLHS60
1 - 10 of 10 Posts