Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle is a 1966 Ford Mustang with 289 V8 and C4 automatic transmission. If you separate the engine from the transmission can you remove the torque converter without spilling fluid from the converter?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Once you pull the converter off the transmission, unless it has sat for a long time, like a few weeks, there will still be enough fluid to run out. Be careful in removing it, C4 and C6 use floating input shafts that may come out with the converter. If it does pay attention to which end was in the transmission, some have different diameter/spline counts on each end.

·
Premium Member
20,101 Posts
There isn't that much fluid that will come out in the first place, perhaps a cup at most, just turn it up as soon as you can, you won't get any fluid leaking out of the front of the transmission once it is out (at least I never have), unless you tip the transmission forward after the converter is out. The rear of the transmission, after the drive shaft is pulled out, usually will leak, I usually tie/tape a plastic bag around the end so I can drain it later. If you drop the oil pan and control the fluid mess before disconnecting torque converter and pulling drive shaft, that helps a whole lot, and lightens it a little bit, too. Oh, and the transmission fluid lines will leak, too, a rubber fuel line and hose clams to connect the two together helps.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. So it seems if one is careful you can remove the converter and lose no or very little fluid. Good tip on not confusing the floating input shaft and accidentally reversing ends. Thanks for the tips!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts