Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried a search to no avail. Could someone walk me through step by step on replacing both Serpentine Belts (Alternator and A/C-Waterpump) on my 2.4 engine. I have a lift and all the tools. Done belt replacement on my '99 Dodge Van with no problems. Never worked on an engine that sits crossways.

Is it all done from below or some of it done from the top? All help greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks~~~Ron :working:

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
A shop manual is a good thing to use as a reference, there are way too many steps to do a good step by step, so the book is a good reference, I used it myself first time though for most of it. There are some things that are actually done through the wheel well, so the wheel comes off, the plastic splash shield comes off, and a good quality harmonic balancer is needed to get the crank pulley off. A lot of work gets done on top, like loosening the AC and power steering, alternator belt, and underneath a jack to hold lift the engine up when the motor mount in the passenger fender is loosened, plastic covers removed, but, in order to get the giant metal bracket that covers the engine side of the bottom plastic cover off, remove the cam sprockets to get it out of there a ton more easier than fighting it for hours. It has to come out to get the bottom cover off so you can actually see the timing marks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A shop manual is a good thing to use as a reference, there are way too many steps to do a good step by step, so the book is a good reference, I used it myself first time though for most of it. There are some things that are actually done through the wheel well, so the wheel comes off, the plastic splash shield comes off, and a good quality harmonic balancer is needed to get the crank pulley off. A lot of work gets done on top, like loosening the AC and power steering, alternator belt, and underneath a jack to hold lift the engine up when the motor mount in the passenger fender is loosened, plastic covers removed, but, in order to get the giant metal bracket that covers the engine side of the bottom plastic cover off, remove the cam sprockets to get it out of there a ton more easier than fighting it for hours. It has to come out to get the bottom cover off so you can actually see the timing marks.
Appreciate your time...........But I'm not looking to replace the Timing Belt. I'm looking for information (tricks-tips) on replacing the external Alternator Belt and the Belt that runs the AC/Power Steering/and Water Pump. Have a great day!!!!! B)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Best to lift it up and remove the splash shield. The alternator belt is done from underneath, although you do have to reach around the top to get to the tightening bolt. The serpentine belt is really a combination of on top and from underneath. You need to get at the power steering pump from above, the rest from underneath. It's kind of tedious given the lack of room, but it is not bad. At least the tensioner takes care of the tension on the serpentine belt.

The water pump is driven by the timing belt on the PTs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts