Allpar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,180 Posts
Every time I go in, different people in the service department. I've never met this "manager" before. The only person I recall is the greeter.

They've never tried to push unnecessary service on me, except once insisting I change the air filter for the low low price of $30! I declined, and bought one myself. Of course, my truck has 23K miles on it, so it isn't in their interest to suggest anything.... yet.

My biggest problem is that I don't have another dealer close by.
Just about everytime I go in they "recommend" changing the air filter - even if I changed it the week before.

Define "close by". the nearest dealer to me is 12 miles away and not open on Saturday's (small dealership). My "normal" dealership where I have service work done and where we've purchased our last three vehicles is 30 miles.

We now do free alignment checks, which somehow always find out your wheels are slightly out of alignment and recommend fixing it. Allows us to make up for the underpriced oil changes. There is always a catch, there HAS to be. This is a money making enterprise.
And I have never known a time the alignment wasn't out of spec..........Many shops (dealer and independent) recommend checking and setting the alignment every 6 months.

On oil changes, our dealer has a nice special all the time - 5 oil changes (5 qts & filter - Hemi and Diesel extra) for $69.99. Considering the usual charge for an oil change for my Journey normally runs ~$35 and ~$41 for my Ram, that's not a bad deal.

It is good to build up a good relationship via regular maintenance. If and when you do need a major repair, they may discount the repair bill. I know my dealer has done this when and unexpected expensive repair came up.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.