Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue & 2012 Ram 1500 QC Big Horn
14 Posts
Ah, gosh, dm5thAvenue--I'm so new with it, it's hard to pick. But I think I have to say the color--that's basically why I bought it. Is the car in your avatar yours?

And thanks to everyone for all the maintenance tips! I need to have a talk with my mechanic soon, and I'll bring all this up.
Yes, that's mine. I bought it and had it shipped to Ohio from Florida in June 2020. I posted 3 short videos of it on YouTube and should have it back from the shop very soon with a front suspension refresh, engine overhaul, and fuel injection system installed. I plan to enjoy the car a lot next summer, then get it back in the shop to upgrade the leaf springs and swap out the 7.25 for an 8.25 and upgrade the gearing to 2.94 or 3.07. This is my 5th Fifth Avenue and my 2nd 88. Here it is a couple months ago in the shop and very dusty lol, it's been there for a while. I need to have them flip the tires so the whitewalls are out.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks very nice. Being your 5th 5th Avenue, you've almost got the beginning of a rap lyric there!

I'd be interested in knowing how you switched to FI. I've been thinking about going in that direction with mine but am not sure about the expense and complexity.
As far as rap I think I better keep my day job lol! As far as the fuel injection, it's something I've always had a curiosity with on these cars and I probably jumped the gun in having this installed. I only say that because it's been in the shop for a year and a half. With my work schedule and lack of work space at home, I sent it to the local Chrysler dealer for the work. Looking back, I should have just had the front suspension refresh performed first and had the pins tightened in the computer connections so I could enjoy the car a bit, but it is what it is.

As far as the fuel injection system, that is about to be installed. My guy checked to be sure this system would work using the stock intake. The kit I purchased is nearly $300 more today than when I purchased it 2 years ago. It shouldn't be too complex to install. I'm also using a new stock style fuel tank and the engine has been overhauled to eliminate any vacuum leaks. It's not going to be cheap, but will still be a lot less expensive than a new car and I plan on keeping this one long term. I've kicked myself in the @$$ every time I traded or sold one of my previous Fifths, but at least with this one I'll get to try out the EFI upgrade and compare mileages with the stock gears and then the new gears when I upgrade the back end.

Sorry for the long story lol. I'm excited to be getting my ride back soon and giving my thoughts on the EFI and suspension. I was with the car this past Monday (picked up new belts for it) so I'm hopeful to get to drive it in the next couple of weeks, if not sooner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll have to base my comparison from memory from my first Fifth Avenue, which was also an 88. I've only put around 100 miles on this one before the computer began disconnecting just enough to kill the engine. My first 88 had the best fuel mileage, with around 13 mpg in town and close to 25 on the freeway. My 86 was the worst, but my 82 and my 87 (my favorite) were both a pretty close match. With this EFI system I'm expecting more of an improvement in performance and smoothness in engine operation with similar or better, but hopefully not worse mpg, like Valiant67 mentioned between the 87 and 88 Dakota. Just for s&g's, here's a photo of my 86 and 87 Fifth Aves together in the summer of 2000.
Tire Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle
Tire Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts