Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Fond memories of the 1984 Diplomat SE my wife and I ordered back in late winter 1984 and received late April. We kept that for 13 years. I do remember test driving one on a lot, and was NOT impressed with the handling, and it sounded/felt like a front tire was rubbing somewhere as I was in a tight corner and suspension bottomed out, so I did special order ours with HD suspension. If I could have ordered it with the Police Package - 318 - 4bl, with the better 360 heads, and an 8 1/4" rear with 2.94 gears and a Sure-Grip, I would have! As mentioned above, the 2.2 gears were pathetic as far as acceleration, but you could cruise high speeds all day. Never had any issues with the Lean Burn system or lockup convertor. Same with the nylon gears. I imagine that unless they are very old, or have very high mileage, the "whopping" 140 HP motors really don't have enough power or torque to tear up much of anything...

·
Registered
190 Posts
As for the radio, definitely not factory. Recently came across the original out of my '84 Diplomat SE that I took out when it was maybe 3 months old shortly after I got it. Can't believe I hung onto it. Was packed away since '84. Guess it's time to do some house cleaning in the garage. I remember when ordering the car early in '84 they wanted a fortune for what was kind of a crappy factory upgrade system, so I just ordered a new aftermarket system with speakers and installed it myself. It looked kind of similar in that it had a clean, neat fit in the dash.

As for the EFI/carb discussion, I can kind of see where you might not gain any mileage, and maybe lose a bit, as I remember making more than a few complaints and trips to the dealer after buying our '84, with issues of a very lean carb on warm-ups. Not much they could/would do to try to remedy it, as they claimed the choke and carb were adjusted to factory specs. Those were set very lean, and drivability suffered accordingly. If nothing else, cold start-ups and everyday drivability should be worlds ahead with EFI

1 - 2 of 2 Posts