Allpar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently (last week) got this car. The name is pretty long, so I think in future I'll just go with NYFA to save keystrokes.

This is my second-ever Mopar, having sold a '66 Coronet 440 in 1975. (Both were 318s--it must be synchronicity.)

I'll be posting in this thread as I uncover all of the car's quirks and features. (Where have I heard that phrase? :) )

Undoubtedly I'll have some questions for the members here too. Looking forward to getting into it!

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beautiful ride Imperialfan! What's your favorite feature on it?
Ah, gosh, dm5thAvenue--I'm so new with it, it's hard to pick. But I think I have to say the color--that's basically why I bought it. Is the car in your avatar yours?

And thanks to everyone for all the maintenance tips! I need to have a talk with my mechanic soon, and I'll bring all this up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can anybody confirm or deny that this is a factory radio? It matches the dash so well, it sure looks like it, but I can't find a picture anywhere of another car with the same unit. And when I cleaned the dash, I noticed it was a little bit loose--factory units are normally solidly mounted.

Vehicle Car Plant Steering wheel Vehicle audio

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the radio info, guys. I was feeling pretty sure that it wasn't original. It seems to be ARA brand, which by what I can google must have been a somewhat known make back in the day. It goes so well in the dash that I think I'll try to keep it, and hide a Bluetooth unit somewhere else.

I've ordered myself this shirt:

I've never owned a car that had its face on a shirt before! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes, that's mine. I bought it and had it shipped to Ohio from Florida in June 2020. I posted 3 short videos of it on YouTube and should have it back from the shop very soon with a front suspension refresh, engine overhaul, and fuel injection system installed. I plan to enjoy the car a lot next summer, then get it back in the shop to upgrade the leaf springs and swap out the 7.25 for an 8.25 and upgrade the gearing to 2.94 or 3.07. This is my 5th Fifth Avenue and my 2nd 88. Here it is a couple months ago in the shop and very dusty lol, it's been there for a while. I need to have them flip the tires so the whitewalls are out.
View attachment 90491
It looks very nice. Being your 5th 5th Avenue, you've almost got the beginning of a rap lyric there!

I'd be interested in knowing how you switched to FI. I've been thinking about going in that direction with mine but am not sure about the expense and complexity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not factory. Does the rear amp button do anything?
1983 may have the body ground as a return line for the speakers (non-floating).
It could damage a modern unit.
Do you still use cassettes? ;)

A working ETR SearchTune would be hard to find. These were available in bright face.
View attachment 90488

A 40-channel CB was available in lieu of a cass/8-track tape player.
An interesting system with the CB built in. I bet it and the electronic scan radio would be about equally scarce now, especially with the bright faceplate.

No, I don't use cassettes, Imperial Crown! :) Not for a good many years. But I was thinking of getting one of those cassette adapters that let you hook in a modern music player,

The whole audio system is dead at the moment, including antenna, so I don't know if the rear amp button is functional. It may take me a while to get around to this--got some bigger fish to fry first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Dashboard question--what's supposed to be in the bottom gauge pod next to the steering column? I thought there would be a warning light or something down there, but I'm not seeing anything.

The car has the Luxury Equipment Package, which I think adds every gadget that wasn't standard, so I don't know what could be missing--???

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Car

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The empty pod next to the rear window defogger would have been for the rear washer/wiper switch on station wagon models.
View attachment 90526
Thanks for the info, Imperial Crown! I was actually thinking after I made my post that my car doesn't have a sunroof, so that might have been for the sunroof switch. But I guess not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
After poking and prodding all the seams and chips and panel gaps, I'm starting to suspect that the car was originally white. There is definitely something white under the burgundy. Is there any chance they were using a whtie primer?

Is there a color code somewhere that could settle this? It doesn't appear to be in the VIN.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks for the label info, Imperial Crown. I'm curious to see if I can find mine and will look.

valiant67, I'm thinking your idea about primer is probably spot-on. (Nearly a pun there!)

I've noticed something that disproves my own theory--the tape-like trim on the mirrors and door handles. That wouldn't be burgundy if the car was originally another color. I'm thankful that the paint is not actually delaminating, though. I can only see the white/gray layer where there's a chip, and at some of the body seams.

And speaking of that tape trim, mine is in bad shape. Is there any practical way to restore or replace it? I'm inclined to just remove it and have chrome. It wouldn't look bad, I think, but it wouldn't be stock, which I usually like everything to be.
Wood Automotive exterior Natural material Wood stain Hardwood

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well, I'm not going to think about the tape stuff quite yet--bigger fish to fry. I just went over the car with my mechanic today, and he made a moderately good report.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of rust (it was Ziebarted at some point) and there are some fairly new parts--battery, water pump, alternator, plugs & wires, etc. There are only two burned out bulbs, which indicates to me somebody was changing those regularly. He was surprised that the factory floor mats are all in place and in good condition, and there's no visible wear on the pedals or the steering wheel. He says if the engine shows a good compression test, and the body looks good on the lift, he'll believe 48,000 is the actual mileage. The engine doesn't smoke and there's no visible body rust at all, so I'm hopeful.

He thinks one reason I'm seeing primer in spots is that somebody has tried to buff out the paint once too often and cut through. So likely paint is in the future along with vinyl. The vinyl top is awful by anybody's standards--literally peeling off on top.

He wants to rebuild the carb to address the hesitation/idle issues, and probably a put in a new power brake booster--you can hear some hiss on braking. The power steering issue may be just a bad belt, which would be great--I expected the pump.

I think I bought a diamond in the rough. I haven't convinced anybody else yet, but I made some progress.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
If he rebuilds the carb, have him check the intake manifold to.see if it's getting warm enough around the base for the carb. These were notorious for plugging up with carbon and not allowing the manifold to heat up so the fuel mixture would atomize properly. This led to cold running drivability issues. The electric assisted choke would open too quickly. When they went to an egr type manifold it made the problem much worse. The passage under the carb mount no longer had the ability to move exhaust from head to head and the ports on the heads would plug up.
Many thanks for the tip, Adventure55. I've started a file of them for reference.

And also belated thanks to everybody who liked the initial post in this thread! It was just recently that I figured out I could click the little icons to see that. Well, duh! So I'm learning quite a few new things lately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts