Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,495 Posts
Not factory. Does the rear amp button do anything?
1983 may have the body ground as a return line for the speakers (non-floating).
It could damage a modern unit.
Do you still use cassettes? ;)

A working ETR SearchTune would be hard to find. These were available in bright face.
Font Number Audio equipment Pattern

A 40-channel CB was available in lieu of a cass/8-track tape player.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
1983 was the last year for the old style radios (no clock, no separate ground for each speaker). The clock, if installed, was in the glove box door.

There was a great range of radios from a standard AM single speaker radio to an AM/FM/cassette. Other options included premium speakers (with amp, amp was different between electronic tuning and regular radios) and power antenna. All radios should have a silver face plate in this car.

Reactions: dm5thAvenue

·
Registered
1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue & 2012 Ram 1500 QC Big Horn
14 Posts
Ah, gosh, dm5thAvenue--I'm so new with it, it's hard to pick. But I think I have to say the color--that's basically why I bought it. Is the car in your avatar yours?

And thanks to everyone for all the maintenance tips! I need to have a talk with my mechanic soon, and I'll bring all this up.
Yes, that's mine. I bought it and had it shipped to Ohio from Florida in June 2020. I posted 3 short videos of it on YouTube and should have it back from the shop very soon with a front suspension refresh, engine overhaul, and fuel injection system installed. I plan to enjoy the car a lot next summer, then get it back in the shop to upgrade the leaf springs and swap out the 7.25 for an 8.25 and upgrade the gearing to 2.94 or 3.07. This is my 5th Fifth Avenue and my 2nd 88. Here it is a couple months ago in the shop and very dusty lol, it's been there for a while. I need to have them flip the tires so the whitewalls are out.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the radio info, guys. I was feeling pretty sure that it wasn't original. It seems to be ARA brand, which by what I can google must have been a somewhat known make back in the day. It goes so well in the dash that I think I'll try to keep it, and hide a Bluetooth unit somewhere else.

I've ordered myself this shirt:

I've never owned a car that had its face on a shirt before! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes, that's mine. I bought it and had it shipped to Ohio from Florida in June 2020. I posted 3 short videos of it on YouTube and should have it back from the shop very soon with a front suspension refresh, engine overhaul, and fuel injection system installed. I plan to enjoy the car a lot next summer, then get it back in the shop to upgrade the leaf springs and swap out the 7.25 for an 8.25 and upgrade the gearing to 2.94 or 3.07. This is my 5th Fifth Avenue and my 2nd 88. Here it is a couple months ago in the shop and very dusty lol, it's been there for a while. I need to have them flip the tires so the whitewalls are out.
View attachment 90491
It looks very nice. Being your 5th 5th Avenue, you've almost got the beginning of a rap lyric there!

I'd be interested in knowing how you switched to FI. I've been thinking about going in that direction with mine but am not sure about the expense and complexity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks very nice. Being your 5th 5th Avenue, you've almost got the beginning of a rap lyric there!

I'd be interested in knowing how you switched to FI. I've been thinking about going in that direction with mine but am not sure about the expense and complexity.
As far as rap I think I better keep my day job lol! As far as the fuel injection, it's something I've always had a curiosity with on these cars and I probably jumped the gun in having this installed. I only say that because it's been in the shop for a year and a half. With my work schedule and lack of work space at home, I sent it to the local Chrysler dealer for the work. Looking back, I should have just had the front suspension refresh performed first and had the pins tightened in the computer connections so I could enjoy the car a bit, but it is what it is.

As far as the fuel injection system, that is about to be installed. My guy checked to be sure this system would work using the stock intake. The kit I purchased is nearly $300 more today than when I purchased it 2 years ago. It shouldn't be too complex to install. I'm also using a new stock style fuel tank and the engine has been overhauled to eliminate any vacuum leaks. It's not going to be cheap, but will still be a lot less expensive than a new car and I plan on keeping this one long term. I've kicked myself in the @$$ every time I traded or sold one of my previous Fifths, but at least with this one I'll get to try out the EFI upgrade and compare mileages with the stock gears and then the new gears when I upgrade the back end.

Sorry for the long story lol. I'm excited to be getting my ride back soon and giving my thoughts on the EFI and suspension. I was with the car this past Monday (picked up new belts for it) so I'm hopeful to get to drive it in the next couple of weeks, if not sooner.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
I'm curious to see the mileage difference with the EFI. Very nice to see you're taking the time and effort to maintain a classic.
I’d expect the biggest improvement will be in drivability. For example the 1987 Dakota had a 3.9 V6 with a carburetor. The 1988 Dakota had the same 3.9 V6 but with throttle body fuel injection. The EPA economy rating went down with the injection even though the 1988 was a far better truck to drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll have to base my comparison from memory from my first Fifth Avenue, which was also an 88. I've only put around 100 miles on this one before the computer began disconnecting just enough to kill the engine. My first 88 had the best fuel mileage, with around 13 mpg in town and close to 25 on the freeway. My 86 was the worst, but my 82 and my 87 (my favorite) were both a pretty close match. With this EFI system I'm expecting more of an improvement in performance and smoothness in engine operation with similar or better, but hopefully not worse mpg, like Valiant67 mentioned between the 87 and 88 Dakota. Just for s&g's, here's a photo of my 86 and 87 Fifth Aves together in the summer of 2000.
Tire Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle
Tire Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
Why did the mileage go down? New tech not yet refined?
If that was the issue, it should have went up in the following years as they refined the tech. It didn’t even when TBI ended in 1991.
My guess is they had the carburetor tuned ridiculously lean to meet tailpipe emissions. Which explains why drivability was so much better with TBI than carb, it could possibly run a little richer but still have better tailpipe emissions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not factory. Does the rear amp button do anything?
1983 may have the body ground as a return line for the speakers (non-floating).
It could damage a modern unit.
Do you still use cassettes? ;)

A working ETR SearchTune would be hard to find. These were available in bright face.
View attachment 90488

A 40-channel CB was available in lieu of a cass/8-track tape player.
An interesting system with the CB built in. I bet it and the electronic scan radio would be about equally scarce now, especially with the bright faceplate.

No, I don't use cassettes, Imperial Crown! :) Not for a good many years. But I was thinking of getting one of those cassette adapters that let you hook in a modern music player,

The whole audio system is dead at the moment, including antenna, so I don't know if the rear amp button is functional. It may take me a while to get around to this--got some bigger fish to fry first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Dashboard question--what's supposed to be in the bottom gauge pod next to the steering column? I thought there would be a warning light or something down there, but I'm not seeing anything.

The car has the Luxury Equipment Package, which I think adds every gadget that wasn't standard, so I don't know what could be missing--???

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Car

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
An interesting system with the CB built in. I bet it and the electronic scan radio would be about equally scarce now, especially with the bright faceplate.

No, I don't use cassettes, Imperial Crown! :) Not for a good many years. But I was thinking of getting one of those cassette adapters that let you hook in a modern music player,

The whole audio system is dead at the moment, including antenna, so I don't know if the rear amp button is functional. It may take me a while to get around to this--got some bigger fish to fry first.
For 1983, the AM/FM/CB was still around but supposedly dropped from the M body (a special tri-band antenna was used on these cars so the single antenna mast picked up AM/FM and CB signals).
The "calculator button" search tune radio was replaced by a new "Quartz Lock" electrical tune radio with cassette. If you look for this radio, it is a 1983 only radio because a similar looking radio was used in 1984 but has the different connectors on the back and an integral clock.
Font Electronic device Auto part Display device Electric blue

·
Super Moderator
24,495 Posts
The empty pod next to the rear window defogger would have been for the rear washer/wiper switch on station wagon models.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Line Automotive lighting

·
Registered
190 Posts
As for the radio, definitely not factory. Recently came across the original out of my '84 Diplomat SE that I took out when it was maybe 3 months old shortly after I got it. Can't believe I hung onto it. Was packed away since '84. Guess it's time to do some house cleaning in the garage. I remember when ordering the car early in '84 they wanted a fortune for what was kind of a crappy factory upgrade system, so I just ordered a new aftermarket system with speakers and installed it myself. It looked kind of similar in that it had a clean, neat fit in the dash.

As for the EFI/carb discussion, I can kind of see where you might not gain any mileage, and maybe lose a bit, as I remember making more than a few complaints and trips to the dealer after buying our '84, with issues of a very lean carb on warm-ups. Not much they could/would do to try to remedy it, as they claimed the choke and carb were adjusted to factory specs. Those were set very lean, and drivability suffered accordingly. If nothing else, cold start-ups and everyday drivability should be worlds ahead with EFI

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The empty pod next to the rear window defogger would have been for the rear washer/wiper switch on station wagon models.
View attachment 90526
Thanks for the info, Imperial Crown! I was actually thinking after I made my post that my car doesn't have a sunroof, so that might have been for the sunroof switch. But I guess not.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
Thanks for the info, Imperial Crown! I was actually thinking after I made my post that my car doesn't have a sunroof, so that might have been for the sunroof switch. But I guess not.
Nope, the sunroof switch was overhead.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
After poking and prodding all the seams and chips and panel gaps, I'm starting to suspect that the car was originally white. There is definitely something white under the burgundy. Is there any chance they were using a whtie primer?

Is there a color code somewhere that could settle this? It doesn't appear to be in the VIN.

·
Super Moderator
24,495 Posts
Maybe on the door jamb label?
Font Ticket Parallel Rectangle Temperature

or the metal underhood Body tag:

Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Engineering

Rectangle Font Parallel Wood Pattern

21 - 40 of 43 Posts