Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Aren't we getting a little bit carried away in the Yahoo! bashing?

Besides, it's just a listing by one individual, on the internet, in the form of an article. Earth-shattering, it is NOT.

And like it or not, there IS a case to say that the Dodge Avenger is a weak competitor. In order to make that case, one must ignore differences in price between competing vehicles. What makes the Avenger competitive at all is that you get a LOT of car, and sometimes engine, for the money.

But if you ignore the money aspect, then let's face it--the Avenger IS worse than the others mentioned. I've rented multiple Foci and Avengers, etc. And the Avenger IS worse in how it drives than the Focus. And it IS worse than the Dart, too. But guess what? Both of those cars feel smaller, yet often cost more.

So it all depends on what is important to the purchaser. A lot of people care most about a couple of thousand dollars when buying a car. Others care less about that (I, for example, am one of them...I generally own my cars for 10+ years. I'd rather spend more on a smaller Dart that I will enjoy more over a very long time, than on a larger Avenger, which might save me an average of $200/year over the life of the car). I'm obviously in the minority, if you look at Avenger vs. Dart sales.

BUT NEITHER POSITION IS NECESSARILY RIGHT OR WRONG.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dave said:
"it's just a listing by one individual, on the internet, in the form of an article"

That's like saying a front page story in the New York Times is just some prose by one individual, on recycled paper towels, in the form of an article.
I think I agree with you, but probably not for the reasons you had in mind. Recently, the NYT has had a long string of articles where they either didn't do their homework or (possibly) outright cheated, plagiarized or lied. I personally no longer trust them as an accurate news source without further verification--and that has NOTHING to do with their editorial slant (in which I haven't particularly noticed much of a change)--it has everything to do with their sloppy journalism.

Both the NYT and the Corolla are riding on their historical reputations. And the fact that the Avenger never changed names (the way the 200 did) might be contributing to its problems, albeit in the opposite direction.

But I guess MY point is that you cannot trust anything you read these days without doing your own due diligence. Sources, from Yahoo! to the NYT, are all using "sensationalist" techniques to drum up readers (remember the Tesla controversy?).

And that while we might not agree with putting the Avenger on the list, when viewed from a certain set of criteria (albeit not necessarily ours), it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities that it could be rated the worst in its class. There's a REASON the 200 is being replaced next year (and hopefully the Avenger soon afterwards)!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.