Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone out there has some advice for me on purchasing a stall converter for my '70 340 Swinger w/ A-727TF tranny. I've been looking for awhile and seen some that are reasonably priced (2 or 3 hundred dollars) and those that go upwards to $600 or more. Is it that you get what you pay for with converters or not always? I've seen the Hughes and B&M models, and I've looked at the J&W equip. too. Has anyone noticed if one manufacturer is better quality than another? This is a street car with a mild 340, 3.91 gears that will mostly be driven on the street, and brought to the track every once in a while. Has anyone had any luck with this combination and with what converter? Thanks, Steve.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
B&M has always had a good product, but that doesn't mean it is the only good one, I have had good luck with them in the past though. As far as what stall to use, I would recommend keeping it at the 3000rpm or even the 2400-2500 rpm range, given you want it to lock up at an rpm range that will allow it to be done stalling on or slightly below the highway rpm so as not to heat up. The lower limit given makes it streetable and gets you into your torque range easily from a stop, the opper limit given is good for the strip to get you deeper into the torque range on the track.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I tried a 3000 stall converter in my Demon. Even with 3.23 gears, it was way loose. Lit up the tires like a pro stock. I agree that you should stay with a lower stall. I ended up with an 1800 stall that still lights them up, just not so violent. Hughes and B&M are good units.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it. Today I was looking at a B&M Holeshot 2400 on the website, it sounds like pretty close to what I think would be a good fit. B&M recommends a tranny cooler also, that's probably a good pick. Now, if I can just figure out what ATF to buy, ask 6 people and get 6 answers. Thanks again.

·
Registered
560 Posts
No one can answer that but the manufacturer. For any MOpar TC, Plus Four only. I personally prefer full synthetic for any TC Mfr. Runs cooler, lubes better.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Well stock was Dexron II, so I am thinking and have heard the ATF4 is the best replacement.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are lots of good research and articles here on Allpar. ATF+4 is the general recommendation for TFs, but let the buyer beware. There are some tranny fluids out there that are "almost" ATF+4, especially in name. Check http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html for actual ATF+4 licensees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts