Allpar Forums banner

If Chrysler was willing to rethink the name of the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, what name would you choose?

• Stick with Jeep Cherokee

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Jeep Liberty

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Jeep Renegade

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Jeep Joke (U.S.), Jeep Fugazi (Italy)

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 19 20.4%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Great article Larry!

Mods, should this be combined into an existing thread, or given to the New Feed?

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
[sarc]
Yes, as soon as they rename Charger to some more appropriate name for a 4 door, rename the Ram trucks as Dodge, rename Dart since it's not true to the old Darts and on and on. Once everything else has an appropriate new name then we can worry about Cherokee.
[/sarc]

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
If reports are true, Renegade was the intended name. Fitting for a vehicle that is styled like no other Jeep.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
valiant67 said:
[sarc]
Yes, as soon as they rename Charger to some more appropriate name for a 4 door, rename the Ram trucks as Dodge, rename Dart since it's not true to the old Darts and on and on. Once everything else has an appropriate new name then we can worry about Cherokee.
[/sarc]
CHARGER: I always thought they were referencing its new demographic with the name. The old CHarger was for people who were "Chargers". Since the meaning of the word CHARGER has changed from what it was, to meaning "a person who has a bunch of charge cards", I think the name Charger, is entirely appropriate. The Dart was Dodges compact, two and four door econo(ish) bread and butter box. That sums up the Dart new Dart pretty well.

Ram has been associated with Dodge trucks from the beginning, or darn near. I think sticking with Liberty was a good idea, and save the name Cherokee for a steel top Wrangler.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
As there's a poll attached it needs to stand on it's own...but I agree that it's a great article. Feel free to post the link in the other thread(s).

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
As there's a poll attached it needs to stand on it's own...but I agree that it's a great article. Feel free to post the link in the other thread(s).
I agree. The Poll was added after my post.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Great article Larry!
Mods, should this be combined into an existing thread, or given to the New Feed?
EDIT: I see a Poll has now been added, justifying this as a separate thread.

T

·
0 Posts
Wonder what Cherokee's trim levels will be called? Maybe "Renegade" could be the "Blacktop" model.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
TJvsTK said:
Wonder what Cherokee's trim levels will be called? Maybe "Renegade" could be the "Blacktop" model.
Covered in the primary Jeep Cherokee thread.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MoparNorm said:
I agree. The Poll was added after my post.
Sorry about that. I was having trouble including the poll in my post.

I agree with Larry's article. The 2014 Cherokee might turn out to be a successful vehicle. The biggest problem, IMO, is that the name doesn't fit. This vehicle may go down in history as a one-off in the Cherokee lineage. Similar to the 1981 Dodge Challenger.

Pressure should be put on Chrysler to use a name other than Cherokee for this vehicle in the same way that Ford was pressured to change what was to be "Mustang IV" to "Probe".

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
valiant67 said:
[sarc]
[/sarc]
I think Dart is a great name, the current one is very much in the same spirit as the original early 60's versions. Charger I hated, but learned to love as there is little market for too many two doors, but the RAM deal ...that will be know as a Dodge long after I'm pushing up daisies.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Quambi said:
Sorry about that. I was having trouble including the poll in my post.
Oh no, no issues at all, now that I understand the reason for a new thread. I had actually thought about starting a poll myself, glad you did!
You have to understand that my posts have a bit of a delay in being posted. It's all good.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
Checked both "Renegade" and "Cherokee"; because honestly, the name should not make or break a vehicle; the vehicle itself should 'do the work'.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
suzq044 said:
Checked both "Renegade" and "Cherokee"; because honestly, the name should not make or break a vehicle; the vehicle itself should 'do the work'.
Now think about that for a moment.
Just for the sake of discussion, would you feel the same way if they re-named the Panda, Viper? ;)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
suzq044 said:
Yes, as Shelby once said, "The car makes the name. The name don't make the car." However, on the flip side, marketing and visibility is such an issue today that having the right name attached to a capable car can make all the difference. Renegade would have worked..at least for the US. Who knows what issues are out there trademarkwise for Renegade.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
In case no one remembers the convention, the yellow highlight in my first post was to indicate sarcasm.
I don't want to rename anything. The names are what they are.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great article, Larry.

It should be called "Something Else".

That new Jeep, that's SOMETHING ELSE! :scared:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts