Allpar Forums banner

Should Jeep no longer make 2 wheel drives?

• Yes

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 22.7%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Stellantis has a huge opportunity to sharpen the differences between the Chrysler brands. Jeep is supposed to make rugged capable vehicles so why not jettison the 2WD versions? Dodge has already got rid of people movers like Journey and Grand Caravan. Let Chrysler be the MPV division with all the less off roady crossovers PSA seems to plenty of versions of. I like that cushy riding sort of crossover Citroen CX4 as the entry level Chrysler. The Peugeot 3008 and 5008 seem like a natural fits for the Chrysler brand. Dodge should get some sort of perfomance crossover and maybe a hot hatch as entry level. Jeep should follow the successful Subaru example and get rid of 2wd which opens up space for Chrysler and Dodge crossovers.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
As we have seen in the Bronco Sport Badlands vs Compass Trailhawk, Jeep is losing the off-road dominance because it needs to water down each model to cover the entire CUV spectrum.

Many predicted this would happen when they tried to turn Jeep into "all CUVs to all people". This hurts the Jeep brand image.

Going forward, Jeeps should be ONLY AWD/4WD and more capable than any competitor off-road.

If Stellantis does not sharpen the Jeep brand, Bronco, Toyota and Hummer will eat into their sales until nothing is left.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Just saying but as of right now the hummer has no competition even with what jeep has coming out. It is really it’s own thing that should in theory be in its own class

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Just saying but as of right now the hummer has no competition even with what jeep has coming out. It is really it’s own thing that should in theory be in its own class
Hummer may get cross-shopped with the Grand Wagoneer for those that want American boldness.

Hummer will probably out-perform Grand Wagoneer off-road as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jeep should sell whatever makes the most money and gets the most demand. Narrowing the brand to represent just a few specialized niches is what Chrysler and Dodge did, and look at the paucity of models now. Chrysler was going to be the “everyperson car/people mover” brand and suffered for that decision; Dodge’s move into niche performance cars has also constrained volume.

Lots of people like the Jeep brand and its aesthetic; the purists complaining about the Renegade or Compass can stick with the Wrangler, but Jeep benefits from having accessible vehicles in its lineup. And let’s face it — the number of people who take their Jeeps off-road or do any kind of serious AWD/4WD requiring driving is a tiny fraction of total Jeep sales.

Sending someone who wants “a Jeep” to Dodge or Chrysler will likely simply result in a lost sale to a competitor. Jeep needs entry-level vehicles too.

If Stellantis does not sharpen the Jeep brand, Bronco, Toyota and Hummer will eat into their sales until nothing is left.
That would not be what the sales numbers show. Since broadening the lineup, Jeep is now approaching a million units sold per year just in the USA, well in excess of what the brand used to sell when it had more limited appeal. There’s no reason for Stellantis to give up all that share and profit. It would be eviscerating one of the core pillars of the FCA brand (RAM being the other one) with the vain hope that a fading brand like Chrysler would benefit. Why do that when you have a sure thing?

As for your statements about the competition, Ford and Toyota are both broad-line brands who have built a collection of CUVs similar to Jeep; Hummer at this point in time is a low volume niche vehicle whose primary competition from a Stellantis perspective will be with RAM... though I think a Jeep compact and full-size pickup pair wouldn’t be a bad idea.

People need to understand that Jeep is now the volume brand for Stellantis/FCA/Chrysler/whatever you want to call it in the USA.

Further, as an international brand with brand recognition and growth potential, Jeep is one of the biggest volume plays in the Stellantis portfolio, and the only one that has recognition and relevance EVERYWHERE.

Dodge and Chrysler are niche brands at best that service specialty segments that aren’t high growth (muscle cars and minivans respectively). They aren’t volume players anymore, and short of some major changes to the market over the next five to ten years, probably never will be again. The same is true of the Italian performance marques like Alfa, Maserati and Lancia, and that’s fine. Things change, and as long as the niche brands are profitable, they’ll stick around to cater to those of us who don’t want CUVs or SUVs.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Jeep should sell whatever makes the most money and gets the most demand. Narrowing the brand to represent just a few specialized niches is what Chrysler and Dodge did, and look at the paucity of models now. Chrysler was going to be the “everyperson car/people mover” brand and suffered for that decision; Dodge’s move into niche performance cars has also constrained volume.

Lots of people like the Jeep brand and its aesthetic; the purists complaining about the Renegade or Compass can stick with the Wrangler, but Jeep benefits from having accessible vehicles in its lineup. And let’s face it — the number of people who take their Jeeps off-road or do any kind of serious AWD/4WD requiring driving is a tiny fraction of total Jeep sales.

Sending someone who wants “a Jeep” to Dodge or Chrysler will likely simply result in a lost sale to a competitor. Jeep needs entry-level vehicles too.

That would not be what the sales numbers show. Since broadening the lineup, Jeep is now approaching a million units sold per year just in the USA, well in excess of what the brand used to sell when it had more limited appeal. There’s no reason for Stellantis to give up all that share and profit. It would be eviscerating one of the core pillars of the FCA brand (RAM being the other one) with the vain hope that a fading brand like Chrysler would benefit. Why do that when you have a sure thing?

As for your statements about the competition, Ford and Toyota are both broad-line brands who have built a collection of CUVs similar to Jeep; Hummer at this point in time is a low volume niche vehicle whose primary competition from a Stellantis perspective will be with RAM... though I think a Jeep compact and full-size pickup pair wouldn’t be a bad idea.

People need to understand that Jeep is now the volume brand for Stellantis/FCA/Chrysler/whatever you want to call it in the USA.

Further, as an international brand with brand recognition and growth potential, Jeep is one of the biggest volume plays in the Stellantis portfolio, and the only one that has recognition and relevance EVERYWHERE.

Dodge and Chrysler are niche brands at best that service specialty segments that aren’t high growth (muscle cars and minivans respectively). They aren’t volume players anymore, and short of some major changes to the market over the next five to ten years, probably never will be again. The same is true of the Italian performance marques like Alfa, Maserati and Lancia, and that’s fine. Things change, and as long as the niche brands are profitable, they’ll stick around to cater to those of us who don’t want CUVs or SUVs.
It is clear that you do not understand branding. You advocate for the same dilution and abuse of brands that we have seen in the past and that led to the weakness of Chrysler and Dodge to compete with other mainstream brands.

Your thinking will result in Jeep becoming equally weak. In fact, we already see Jeep volumes declining as they lose in the same segments that Chrysler/Dodge lost in the sedan market.....compact and midsize CUVs.

Doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different outcome is not smart management. It is insanity.

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts

So let’s look at those weaker Jeeps you are praising. Compass, Cherokee, and Renegade all added together are outsold by the Toyota RAV4. These small Jeeps are following the path of the Dart and 200 - discount queens.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
288 Posts
Circles, circles, circles.
That all this forum site does. Goes around, and around, and around the same topics again, again, again.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Circles, circles, circles.
That all this forum site does. Goes around, and around, and around the same topics again, again, again.
Allpar was never a place where we sat around only praising decisions. It was always a place where loyal aficionados could voice their concerns, tempered with experienced members.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
288 Posts
Allpar was never a place where we sat around only praising decisions. It was always a place where loyal aficionados could voice their concerns, tempered with experienced members.
Not saying you aren't.
Just saying, I read this argument probably 100 times since I joined lmao

·
Registered
120 Posts
In fact, we already see Jeep volumes declining as they lose in the same segments that Chrysler/Dodge lost in the sedan market.....compact and midsize CUVs.
Same thing is happening at Ford with the Escape. I see no point in developing crossovers for the Dodge and Chrysler brands. I expect both Ford and Stellantis in North America to withdraw from mainstream crossovers and end up with lineups dominated by pickups and derivatives (Expedition, Wagoneer), off road vehicles (Bronco and Bronco Sport for Ford and Grand Cherokee and Wrangler for Stellantis), and a potpourri of electric vehicles to satisfy the politicians

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Not saying you aren't.
Just saying, I read this argument probably 100 times since I joined lmao
We had a beating a dead horse emoticon floating around for a while......

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Same thing is happening at Ford with the Escape. I see no point in developing crossovers for the Dodge and Chrysler brands. I expect both Ford and Stellantis in North America to withdraw from mainstream crossovers and end up with lineups dominated by pickups and derivatives (Expedition, Wagoneer), off road vehicles (Bronco and Bronco Sport for Ford and Grand Cherokee and Wrangler for Stellantis), and a potpourri of electric vehicles to satisfy the politicians
It is too early to judge if the Bronco Sport is a sustainable success or not, but by focusing and sharpening the vehicle, Ford created something that sells well. That is what we advocate Jeep do with its lineup or it will become just like the rest.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think going after the Bronco Sport with the next Cherokee would make an excellent start to sharpening the distinctions between brands. The replacement for the 2wd Cherokee should be a family oriented Peugeot crossover badged as a CHRYSLER and maybe the Opel crossover as a Dodge. Having these brands can be an advantage for Stellantis and not a burden.

·
Registered
39 Posts
YES !!
ONLY 4WD vehicles for Jeep.
That could even include a more passenger car type vehicle.
Stellantis management needs to understand brand loyalty and it's roots based on the actual ownership experience as well as the experiences/traditions of family and friends.
As much as I have tried to emulate my father's love/ownership of Chrysler vehicles, my 3 experiences were dismal failures. Plymouth was so-so. Dodge has been a success. No experience with Jeep or Ram. AMC was a big flop.
For the future, I would buy a Dodge but not a Chrysler, Ram or Jeep, regardless of what models are offered.
Consider my business "up for grabs". Never owned a Ford product (dad was anti-Ford). With the elimination of my only positive GM brand experiences, Oldsmobile and Pontiac, ownership of a GM vehicle is a big "NO".
Not relishing the purchase of a "foreign" vehicle make, but for the first time in my life I would consider it.
Stellantis had better start getting their S*IT together and make some big splashs in the automotive market or they will be soon experiencing the ever increasing erosion of their customer base. High Time to make some right moves !!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts