Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that my 273 with a 904 has a slight shudder under heavy acceleration. The vibration damper shows signs of aging and has slipped causing the timing mark to be off quite a bit. Could this cause my problem? Or maybe slipping clutches?

·
Premium Member
20,363 Posts
I would definitely start with the harmonic balancer given you know it has "slipped" or worn out. This is an internal balance engine and offsetting this external weight is a good start to alleviate the problem, at least in the sense that it is a known issue to start with. From there, yeah, start looking at mounts and U-joints for wear and slop, never a good thing with spinning masses.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after searching out a number of possibilities, I found the tranny mount was worn and replaced it. I checked the wheel balance again but that was OK. Since I had replace the 'U' joints I didn't think that was the problem but the shudder had now turned into a vibration. I took the drive shaft out and took it to my good friend Leo at I-5 Drive Line in Vancouver, WA. He found that the shaft was bent and straightened it. No more shudder!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.