Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-'70 Plymouth Duster with a 360 in it. When it's fully repaired it will have Mopar Performance valve covers, fuel injection, performance camshaft, 4-speed aluminum case transmission. Everything else will be stock.

- '68 Coronet 440 including AC with a 383 in it. When it's fully repaired it will have new headers, 2 1/2" H-pipe exhaust, 4 barrel holley carburetor, performance camshaft, dual plane intake manifold, Mopar Performance valve covers, 4-speed cast iron cased transmission. Everything will remain stock.

Which is an all around better car and why? Focus mostly on the engine.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Both cars are nice, both have advantages, minor weaknesses for both.

The Duster is a lighter car, the aluminum case 4spd is the overdrive transmission and not as strong as the cast iron case A-833, a little better gas mileage I would imagine, an overall nice cruiser, fuel injection (whatever kind it is) is a plus.

The Coronet 440 4spd is probably more durable overall, maybe not quite as fast, but a strong contender for duration racing and cruising. Weight is a little more, but there are plenty of parts for the engine available (same for the 360), so repairing and upgrading is not an issue for either car. Also remember, the Coronet is the Super Bee with a few additions, so a clone is possible, the 4spd option is definitely a plus in that regard.

I would have difficulty deciding which car I would prefer, given the choice.

To clarify, the Super Bee is the upgrade of the Coronet, not the other way around, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
dana44 summed it up nicely.

The 360 is pretty much a 'maxed out' small block in a very light body whereas the 383 is a very strong/understressed big block albeit in a heavier car.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
To be concise, the 360 is a stroked LA block, the 383 is a mid point RB (except for one year) and both are excellent engines.
I'd go with the fuel injection fuel system, as the best choice, regardless of engine.
Anyone know of a fuel injection add-on kit other than the Eldelbrock?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
5.9. An almost direct bolt-on, would be extremely easy to adapt to the old LA engine, one of the fine upgrades that can/could be done, unless he actually has a 5.9, just calling it a 360 (old/original name).

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
dana44 said:
5.9. An almost direct bolt-on, would be extremely easy to adapt to the old LA engine, one of the fine upgrades that can/could be done, unless he actually has a 5.9, just calling it a 360 (old/original name).
Duh on me! I was thinking 1970, but yes you are right. I'm not sure but later versions of the 5.9 engines changed bolt patterns so transmissions require a change or an adapter, but a true 5.9 will work much more efficiently with a modern trans AND engine/trans management system.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
360LA and 5.9 Magnum are virtually interchangable. IMO I would try to find a 360 Mag and put it in the Duster and run the factory style FI with the M1 2bbl intake. That combo would be VERY VERY Strong in the Duster. With not much work you could make that a huge powerhouse.

Using a 94-95 flexplate would allow the use of the exsisting transmission and convertor.

The 360 is a dang good engine, but I prefer the 383 for reliability and longevity personally. The 383 has a shorter stroke than the 360, and even longer rods, so the rod angularity is virtually nil. This allows there to be minimal bore wear over time. 383's have been, and are known as longevity motors. 360's last, but not to the same degree and not as often.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Depending on your location, you say the 383 comes with A/C ----- say no more!
With the weather we have had this year, the choice is simple ----- go 383!

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
Even in the larger car, the big block tends to make the car nose heavy. How much time do you plan to spend pushing the car towards its handling limits? Yes, you can compensate for the heavier engine with upgraded suspension (which the factory did to some degree). And, as much as I love the 360, the big block will have a sweeter rumble to it.

But then as with the post above, A/C might sway my vote as well to the 383.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Danno said:
360LA and 5.9 Magnum are virtually interchangable. IMO I would try to find a 360 Mag and put it in the Duster and run the factory style FI with the M1 2bbl intake. That combo would be VERY VERY Strong in the Duster. With not much work you could make that a huge powerhouse.

Using a 94-95 flexplate would allow the use of the exsisting transmission and convertor.

The 360 is a dang good engine, but I prefer the 383 for reliability and longevity personally. The 383 has a shorter stroke than the 360, and even longer rods, so the rod angularity is virtually nil. This allows there to be minimal bore wear over time. 383's have been, and are known as longevity motors. 360's last, but not to the same degree and not as often.
+1 for the 383
Dad's favorite engine in all his company cars was a 383 2bbl. Tons of low end torque and ran on Gulftane gas. (i think that was the lowest octane/cheapest gas at the time)
We had a '71 Sport Fury with a 360 2bbl. that seemed quick enough off the line but felt like it ran out of breath as it hit 3rd.
Coarse these were bone stock new cars.

Both of those rides sound pretty nice though. Didn't see them at Carlisle?

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,028 Posts
I hate all small blocks. Distributor is in the back. I love all big blocks, the distributor up front and easy to work on.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
66coronet said:
I hate all small blocks. Distributor is in the back. I love all big blocks, the distributor up front and easy to work on.
With coil on plug and ECU's there are no distributors and nothing to work on. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts