Allpar Forums banner

261 - 264 of 264 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,815 Posts
I'm retired military, so I believe that I can order through AAFES and go around the dealer?
If you are successful in doing so this way, please follow up and let us know how it went. Even if you are able to order through AAFES (I have my doubts), I think the vehicle will still have to come through a dealership. I don't think the factory is set up to deliver to individuals.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you are successful in doing so this way, please follow up and let us know how it went. Even if you are able to order through AAFES (I have my doubts), I think the vehicle will still have to come through a dealership. I don't think the factory is set up to deliver to individuals.
I looked into it and it looks like it's primarily for folks serving overseas. If I were overseas, though, I'd be buying Euro-spec cars or cars that I can't get in the States.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I looked into it and it looks like it's primarily for folks serving overseas. If I were overseas, though, I'd be buying Euro-spec cars or cars that I can't get in the States.
If you buy a new Euro-spec car, don't plan on importing it into the US without expenses and pain of going through an importer. At a bare minimum, you'll have to replace the EU standard headlights with NA standard ones, but you'll still have to pay an importer to legalize it. Until it's over 25 years of age, it's expensive to import in most cases. Of course, this may not even be applicable anyway, if you're retired overseas and plan to remain, say with a local national spouse.

The Exchange car sales takes delivery in Europe. I have no idea how they service the vehicles under warranty, but most US bases overseas have local shops near the main gate that specialize in US stuff.

A company out of Wuerzburg dba "Bavarian Motor Cars" handles BMW's U. S. military and State Department program.

Not sure any of this applies to retired military overseas, as you wouldn't have logistics support under the NATO or other applicable Status of Forces Agreement, meaning you fall under local law as far as buying a vehicle or really just about anything else through US facilities, unless you had logistics support from another job or spouse's job. You could go through the installation customs office and local customs/tax authorities and buy stuff from the PX and Exchange, and pay the local tax that way, but with vehicles, that may not be so simple due to standards of safety and environmental law that are differing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A factory order can be so easy if everything is on the table and side situations like trade values are excluded. Agree on the profit, agree on the adds, give all factory discounts and rebates. Submit with price protection and wait. A few years ago it was easier to explain. Just have the order before the 10th. Ordering a few days later and you get a 3.5 week wait. Now it all seems to be a allocation mess that can be pretty fragile and feels like a house of sticky cards because the kids played with them after their business lunch.

261 - 264 of 264 Posts