Allpar Forums banner

141 - 160 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Factory order a Durango.
Not sure this is the best choice for anyone looking at a JT or JL. Numerous reports where people say finding one that steers correctly takes test driving several.
I ordered my 2001 XJ Cherokee to get exactly what I wanted. But back then you didn't have to worry about hit and miss steering.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Not sure this is the best choice for anyone looking at a JT or JL. Numerous reports where people say finding one that steers correctly takes test driving several.
I ordered my 2001 XJ Cherokee to get exactly what I wanted. But back then you didn't have to worry about hit and miss steering.
Yes, but that is a unique situation.

·
10,397 Posts
The steering issue appears to have been corrected for 2021. Finally.

It only took FCA four model years...

·
10,397 Posts
Firstly, I saw the warning that every single shot was CGI 'throughout'. I don't trust it until I see the real thing, not a clay roller body with a bunch of CGI action shots like what they did with Bronco, too. At least FCA uses real cars in their debuts.

Secondly, GM has priced that thing right out of the market, tbh. We haven't seen hide nor hair of the Tesla since that debut, and that was supposed to start at like 40k; not nearly triple that. Even the TRX doesn't hit that high of a mark. I don't know who they're going to try to market this to, but the interior of that thing doesn't say I just paid 120k for this. It says maybe 60k. lol -- Sure, the tech is neat; crabwalk, cool. But, it's not 116k neat. It's really not.

Also, it's Extraction mode that gives you that 15"; which tells me that you really can't go far with it that high. It probably risks damage to the suspension if you do. Or else why not just make it the Rock mode, y'know? It's on a skateboard chassis so, I'm not sure how functionally flexible that suspension is, compared to say, the TRX/Raptor, or any traditional truck.

The fact they said it reserved out within an hour, is meh to me, because odds are that was to dealers. I don't care how fast it sells out to their franchisees.

The only thing I'd be worried about is that the comparably priced Wagoneer isn't going to be very capable. They played that down so hard that it's scary.
If the real thing looks like the photos, GM will sell every one of them.

In this age of Instagram, it is all about looking good, apparently.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
The steering issue appears to have been corrected for 2021. Finally.

It only too FCA four model years...
Great news! FCA vehicles are the best when you buy them a few years in. Lol. Now I can get my JL!

·
Jeepaholic
5,572 Posts
And now I'd feel a little more comfortable about getting a JT. Now if I can just stomach the price...….:D

·
370,000 miles
1,336 Posts
I've factory ordered several of my Mopars, and I mostly enjoyed the process. The thing I didn't enjoy was that you don't get the incentives being offered at time of ordering, you get whatever incentives are active when you take delivery. If you're lucky, the incentives may get better between order and delivery. I'm not lucky. Every time I've ordered I've lost between $500 and $2500 of rebates.

Buying off the lot I almost never find a vehicle equipped the way I want it. And I usually end up with some shade of gray - I hate gray/silver, but I wind up taking what's available.

·
Jeepaholic
5,572 Posts
I just got back from test driving a Durango SXT Plus, and I can honestly say I’m impressed. The interior is a bit plain with cloth seats (not unexpected), but it drives very well...very smooth, and maneuverable for a big vehicle. Much more so than the school bus that is my SIL’s Traverse. Lots of room inside. The only thing it’s missing that I really wanted was a sunroof. We may end up ordering exactly what we want instead.

My wife wants to go see an Explorer, so I’ll be doing that tomorrow. The salesman at the Dodge dealer could’ve shown it to me today since the dealerships are owned by the same group...I wish I had known that, but I already made the appointment for tomorrow. But the Explorer has a tall order to beat the Durango.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I just got back from test driving a Durango SXT Plus, and I can honestly say I’m impressed. The interior is a bit plain with cloth seats (not unexpected), but it drives very well...very smooth, and maneuverable for a big vehicle. Much more so than the school bus that is my SIL’s Traverse. Lots of room inside. The only thing it’s missing that I really wanted was a sunroof. We may end up ordering exactly what we want instead.

My wife wants to go see an Explorer, so I’ll be doing that tomorrow. The salesman at the Dodge dealer could’ve shown it to me today since the dealerships are owned by the same group...I wish I had known that, but I already made the appointment for tomorrow. But the Explorer has a tall order to beat the Durango.
Which says a lot given how new the Explorer is.
Somewhat related: so on paper the Raptor has a lot better fuel economy than the TRX. But then when you get to real world the C&D comparison test showed much closer results.... Something that seem true in general when it comes to many of the modern turbo engines.

·
Jeepaholic
5,572 Posts
I’ve found with turbos it’s more a question of how does the engine perform more so than how much fuel does it save. The turbo in our A3 is awesome to drive, but sucks on gas. The turbo in our Encore sucks to drive...and honestly I don’t think it’s that good on gas either. Lol.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I’ve found with turbos it’s more a question of how does the engine perform more so than how much fuel does it save. The turbo in our A3 is awesome to drive, but sucks on gas. The turbo in our Encore sucks to drive...and honestly I don’t think it’s that good on gas either. Lol.
I mean if you stay out of the throttle a ton it's great on gas, vw/audi have some sorta tuning to where it doesn't use a ton of boost unless you hit certain parameters

·
Jeepaholic
5,572 Posts
I mean if you stay out of the throttle a ton it's great on gas, vw/audi have some sorta tuning to where it doesn't use a ton of boost unless you hit certain parameters
I think I worded my post badly. What I meant to say was, how a vehicle with a turbo drives is more important to me than how fuel efficient it is. All engines will do worse on fuel economy if driven aggressively, regardless of whether normally aspirated or not....and if driven smartly/more softly, you’ll get better results with FE. Our A3 is much more fun to drive which is more valuable to me than saving a little $$.

So it’s all in how it appeals to ME...which is important because, as we all know, the world revolves around ME. :p

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
All engines will do worse on fuel economy if driven aggressively, regardless of whether normally aspirated or not....and if driven smartly/more softly, you’ll get better results with FE.
Very true. Our Equinox has instant mpg readout and even under moderate acceleration it displays 6-11 mpg and it has a 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. I can just imagine what the 5.7L Hemi is getting under moderate acceleration.

As far as turbos go, I'll leave you with this:

upload_2020-10-28_6-40-25.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very true. Our Equinox has instant mpg readout and even under moderate acceleration it displays 6-11 mpg and it has a 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. I can just imagine what the 5.7L Hemi is getting under moderate acceleration.

As far as turbos go, I'll leave you with this:

View attachment 30929
How come the sign in the window doesn't say sold my Ram. People will never stop calling them Dodge's

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
How come the sign in the window doesn't say sold my Ram. People will never stop calling them Dodge's
You're assuming he had a Ram pickup before. We don't know what Dodge he had previously. Could have been a Dodge Ram or a Dodge Neon or a Dodge Avenger or a Dodge Charger, etc.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
That body dates back to 2009 which means the pickup he bought was likely pre-2009. IIRC the Ram name from trucks occurred in 2009, so its very likely he had a Dodge Ram 2nd or 3rd gen.

·
Jeepaholic
5,572 Posts
If the person in question holds onto vehicles like I do, then his Dodge could’ve been 20 years old when traded. :p

My Liberty almost made it to 20 years. And I would’ve gotten away with it if not for those meddling kids.....and their dog! :eek::eek:

:D:D

Reactions: Tony K and tlc

·
Registered
284 Posts
Have you guys seen the specs on that $120,000 GMC Hummer revealed this week? All-electric motor, 1,000 lbs of torque, up to 15 inches of clearance!

Bronco is promising 11.5 inches of clearance with the Sasquatch package. Both Bronco and Hummer will offer 35” tires from the factory.

For reference, JL Rubicon’s clearance is only 10.5 inches and largest tires are 33”.

This is the type of “leadership” I kept harping about was missing when Jeep developed JL.
They are making SUV too, that will be super interesting .. specially with 3-row option

GMC Hummer EV SUV Rendering Shows The Lineup's Rugged Future

141 - 160 of 227 Posts