Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 Voyager, 3 spd, A670 trans, 180,000 miles. Doing a fluid and filter change (Van is seldom used and after a long time sitting mostly idle tranny was reluctant to shift into third - added some Seafoam conditioner, drove ~10 miles and it started to shift into 3rd OK, then I'm changing the filter and fluid). The filter gasket appears to fit around/over two screws in the valve body, but holes in filter are a bit smaller than screw heads - do screws need to come out, gasket installed and screws put back in? Or is OK to leave screws in and depend on filter pushing gasket over/around screws ? (I noticed on another post where someone complained about gasket installed by AAMCO being "dimpled over screws"? The old gasket was not being held in place by the screws, it came out stuck to the old filter.

thx
Steve

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
It has been awhile since I have drained the fluid and changed the filter on the A413 / A670 3 speed automatic transaxle. I believe the gasket you mention seals the filter to the input port on the valve body. I never removed the screws and attached this gasket to the valve body. Just allow the filter to press the gasket material around the screw heads. The gasket material should compress sufficiently around the screw heads and allow the filter to seat fully. I seem to remember that the filter is held in place with 2 torx head screws???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Allan. After I posted I looked at the old filter and it looked like it had just been pressed against the screws so I'm probably fine, but my general tendency to worry and the other post got me thinking I might have made a mistake (I'm a retired engineer and have been accused of over thinking things....). Yes, you're right, held in by to torx screws.

thxs again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts