Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT with a 440 4 barrel 4 speed car with the track pack option. It is electronic ignition now but I want it original so I need to go back to points. Some people tell me that dual points were only on hemi and six pack cars but I also hear that all cars with the track pack had dual points. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
The Scat pak (multiple spellings) options for everything I have seen is for the 426 Hemi and 440 six pack, but nothing on the 4bbl engine. If you happen to find anything, it would be nice to have an update on that.

Now, that is not to say you didn't have one originally. There are more than a few stories of this vehicle or that vehicle having something taken off the performance assembly line and stuck into something grandma drove. I have heard of everything from 6pac rods, cams, and pistons in a 4bbl engine, but the best one I have seen myself was a 340 4bolt main engine found in a 1969 Dodge station wagon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a numbers matching car. The motor, tranny & fender tag match the vin. The fender tag has the track pack code on it. It has a dana 60 rear & 26 in rad. The fan has been changed to a flex fan so I have to get the 7 blade fan for it. The only problem is the code calls for dual point but the 1970 book at the dealer tells me the 4bbl used single point dist. The dual point was used on 340 & 440 6bbl & the hemi. the book at the dealer, which is the parts book for 1970 only show a single point for the 4bbl. I just want to make it right.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
That's the same information I was able to locate, too. Track Pack was a handling package, and I would agree with the dual point addition if the engine selection you noted, not just because of the Track Pack package itself. I think single points is correct according to the books. The exception would be if it were listed as a special item added on the build sheet itself, something which may have been able to be added as an option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts