Allpar Forums banner

Slant Six 225 to Valiant 1960

4570 7
Hallo,

I am a new Member from the Czech in this Forum. I have bought Valiant 1960 with faktory 170cui and manual gearbox. Please, can I put a Slant six 225cu (3,7) from Dodge Coronet with auto gearbox 1966 in my Valiant ?

thanks
Erik
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can, the engines are physically the same dimensions, and the transmission was an option in 1960, with two exceptions. The 1960 automatic transmission (904) would have had a cable shift instead of linkage, and the transmission output shaft was a bolt-on ball and trunion instead of a slip yoke and u-joint. The proper driveline will require to be made or sourced from the 1966 car if you have access to the whole car. One good thing is, with few exceptions, any automatic auto Dodge transmission yoke and u-joint will fit, but make sure the u-joint is the same dimension as the one for the rear end of the 1960 so as not to have vibrations from two different sized u-joints. You will also need to have a shifter for the transmission, I do not think the steering column and shifter will work, I think it was changed in 1965, so the dimensions are different, but maybe someone else has more information to this.

One last thing you will need is a transmission cooler or radiator that has the transmission cooler in it.

·
Got parts?
2,605 Posts
Welcome to allpar. The 170 and 225 cubic inch engines were almost identical -- the main difference is that the 225 has a longer stroke. The engine swap should be straightforward.

Switching from a manual to an automatic will be a bit more involved, though. The automatic transmissions then had a push-button selector; if you use a column or floor shifter, it won't be original, and will involve more work. As Dana specified, you'll need a TorqueFlite 904, and the radiator should also be changed. While it can be done, I think you're better off keeping the manual.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My 63 Signet had the 170 in it and was swapped for a 225 [I thought it was the standard engine in the Signet... young and dumb]. The difference in that car is that the rear suspension has five leaf springs instead of four. I doubt it made a difference.

And the three speed manual is easy to live with. Mine is on the column. The 60's is on the floor. Plus it's been kind of interesting, when I've been in shows how it's been the only Valiant there with a manual rather than the push button [60-64] unless it's been a four speed [original or retrofit].

I'd keep the manual. The floor shift is unique. And it looks as cool as the push button automatic. Save yourself the aggravation.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,626 Posts
I wouldn't dismiss the manual. My first car when I started to drive in 1976 was a 63 Valiant wagon. It had a tired 170 3sp columm shift. We put a rebuilt 225 in it. It was like a whole different car, very fun to drive. I can understand why you want an auto though. My next car was a 72 Duster with slant six, auto this time, and power steering.

·
Super Moderator
21,020 Posts
My 1968 Dart was a 170 3 speed on he column. The little 170 engine loved to rev.
My last 1968 Valiant started out as a 170 automatic, but the previous owner swapped in a 225 which really helped with the automatic since the 225 has more low end grunt than the 170.
A 225 with the three speed manual would be a nice combination..

Reactions: saltydog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,
I really thank you for your quick help. I wrote my question imprecisely. I will change only the engine and keep my manual gearbox. So change 170 to 225 is no problem, I suppose. But the new 225 engine I want to buy, was in the car with the auto gearbox connect. Is it no problem if my car is manual? Can I connect this new engine with my manual gearbox without further modification?

thanks Erik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.