Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am getting freaked out, after driving approximately 20 miles and stoping, for the past 2 days, I am seeing a small cloud (more like a couple of whisps of smoke vs a "cloud") of white/gray smoke exit from under the hood. I have 2 oil leaks, 1from the lowest point of the oil pan (where I accidentily tagged someone elses roadkill raccoon) and the second from the oil lines to the Amsoil Bypass filteration system.

I donkt want to pretend to know what the culprit is and catch on fire @ 65 on the highway but here is what I hope is happening:

-after driving at either 45 or 65 for 20 miles, I go into inner city stop-n-go for about 3 miles. It is after this that I have experienced the "smoke", I am hoping that since the oil is puddling right behind the fan, when the fan kicks on it is blowing a drip or two, which in turn is making it's way to either the exhaust manifold or the turbo serface. I am going to eliminate both leaks this weekend and need this car on the road.

Any thoughts on this are welcome...I feel like the dumbest person on the planet for continuing to drive it without kn owing what is actually at fault as I generally believe that smoke is what is present after fire. Please help!

Just to add the the physical discription, the smoke does look like exhaust, if that makes since to anyone?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Valve cover gaskets possibly leaking onto the exhaust along with the other leaks. i had the same problem and replacing the valve covers gaskets got rid of it. I do still have a crank seal leak ..small..but it doesn't cause smoke.

·
King
3,488 Posts
I went through the leaking value cover deal on both cars.
are you finding drops of oil where you park??

An original 88 or newer one piece gasket cover works the best.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I felt a little better having a reasonable idea what the probable cause of the smoke whisps. Today something different added to the mix; I started to hear the familiar whine of a power steering pump. As soon as I can stop a take a steering reservior fluid level, I see a dry stick...Yikes. I now have to consider wether the smoke is from motor oil, steering fluid or perhaps both.

When I opened the steer pump reservior, it occured to me that it took much more effort to put it in than to take it off, the reservior cap may have been "just sitting there". If that was the case, dispite the mess, I am looking better.

After servicing the reservior, and a brief test drive, things are sounding better but after stopping, I still see the undelightful return of the smoke, accompanied by the smell of burning oil. I am not yet certain wether I had a loose cap, a ruptured hyd line or worse. I am very glad that it is Friday night, dispite not being my highest priority...un fortunantly, I will be able to tackle it this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts