Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 chry.sebring coupe 2.5L smokes out tail pipe when I turn on ac. please hit me back im a fellow lube technician of Chrysler in cali of 15 years @ shaver auto center Thanks.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!
I think a good first step would be determining what the smoke is-- what color is it and what does it smell like?
It would also be a good idea to pull computer codes, either by the "key dance" (works in my 2005 Caravan) or a reader.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
?! WT?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
KOG, I assume that you're talking about the key dance. Chrysler apparently retained the functionality for a while after OBD-II came online. Instead of a blinking CEL, the digital odometer reads out the codes, which are OBD P-codes, not the old 2-digit ones, and then "dOnE" to indicate the end of codes. My buddy has a '97 Wrangler that seems to have the old 2-digit codes, though.

EDIT: Just to make sure I wasn't remembering things wrong, I went out and disconnected the MAP sensor on the van. Sure enough, I got a CEL and came back with P0108, which is a MAP code that could result from an open ground, according to OBD-codes.com.
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0108

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
o, I was referring to smoke when A/C running. That seems beyond strange to me.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
What engine oil are you using? I have seen some high-mileage Mitsubishi 2.5L V6 engines with oil burning/smoking issues. I have a '98 JX with the 2.5L and 122K miles that smokes at odd times. Sometimes it's at start up, especially after it's after sitting awhile and sometimes it's when it is hot and climbing hills.
It's the infamous Mitsubishi valve seals from the '80's -'90's. The rubber has worn and hardened with heat.
Replacement can be done with the heads on the car, but would be about a days work in the driveway with the right tools. There are 24 valves and the rockers have to come out of the way, cylinder pressurized with air one at a time and valve springs R&Red.
If the cat is hollowed out at all, the oil smoke will be worse as the cat helps to oxidize some of it.
Going to a slightly heavier viscosity of motor oil can also help reduce smoking. In warmer climates, a premium quality grade of 10W-40 may help reduce smoking. 20W-50 may be excessively thick. HDEO is more expensive, but may also help.
Maybe with the A/C on, you are adding load to the engine and seeing the smoke. I would bet that if you were to follow your own car in a car behind it, you would see wisps of oil smoke at other times like when the engine is under throttle and the throttle is let off when warm, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah and its only sitting at a idle and the smoke is kinda blue at times but only after its at running temp.like if I go into store and the girl stays In the car it does it not while driving though and only when the darn ac is on
and when I bought it I did vavle cover gaskets spark plug tube orings because there was oil in the tubes when I went to check the plugs and wires enough oil that u were unable to see the top of the plugs in all six tubes and intake manifold gaskets

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Blue smoke is oil of some sort. If the car isn't having running issues or experiencing bad fuel economy, I would suspect something like valve guide seals, as IC mentioned. These were major problems for the earlier Mitsubishi-sourced V6 engine, the 3.0 used in the extended K-cars. I think the issue may be minor enough at this point that the volume of oil is only enough to make smoke noticeable when the car is stopped and idling with the increased idle RPM from the A/C, but not when the car is moving, as the air moving around and under the car blows the smoke away (i.e. it's still smoking, but you can't see it).
The valve guide seals are more of an annoyance than anything else. I would say you can wait to do them until the oil consumption is too high to be acceptable, the smoke becomes an annoyance or causes you to fail emissions, or the heads have to come off for another reason. The rear bank in particular is tight, as I'm sure you know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts