Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just picked up a 66 Dart wagon with a Magnum 5.2L from a 96 Dodge Ram.

Once the car warms up if I do anything but accelerate really gently, it blows smoke. I drove the car home 20 miles on the freeway and I was billowing smoke like crazy. Does not seem to smoke when idling.

So any ideas? Valves or rings?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
What color smoke? Black/gray, white or blue?

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Is this EFI or did someone slap a carburetor on it?
If it is burning oil, make sure that the PCV valve has a good vacuum to it. What condition is the motor oil in?
Is the breather or air cleaner soaked with oil?
If it is 'fuel' rich, it should run poorly with poor fuel economy like carb flooding/choke sticking on. The spark plugs may also show either oil or fuel carbon fouling.
If it is EFI, did they leave any provision for pulling fault codes?
What kind of Frankenstein conversion are we working with here?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this EFI or did someone slap a carburetor on it?
If it is burning oil, make sure that the PCV valve has a good vacuum to it. What condition is the motor oil in?
Is the breather or air cleaner soaked with oil?
If it is 'fuel' rich, it should run poorly with poor fuel economy like carb flooding/choke sticking on. The spark plugs may also show either oil or fuel carbon fouling.
If it is EFI, did they leave any provision for pulling fault codes?
What kind of Frankenstein conversion are we working with here?
Well I can not really tell the smoke color. I assumed it was blue but I do not see colors terribly well. My neigbor thinks it is white. Maybe.
It was an EFI motor originally. The guy pulled it from the truck stripped off all the smog and stuck an Edelbrock manifold and Carter AFB.

I wish I could get a couplle of car guys over here to have a look and listen, but all my friends are back in LA. I am all alone here in Phoenix :(

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
White smoke could be coolant.
Does it have an odor? Burning oil, gas and coolant all have their own distinct odor.
Is the coolant level OK?

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Well I can not really tell the smoke color. I assumed it was blue but I do not see colors terribly well. My neigbor thinks it is white. Maybe.
It was an EFI motor originally. The guy pulled it from the truck stripped off all the smog and stuck an Edelbrock manifold and Carter AFB.

I wish I could get a couplle of car guys over here to have a look and listen, but all my friends are back in LA. I am all alone here in Phoenix :(
What part of Phx? I live in south Scottsdale near Old Town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts