Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found one worth buying after wading through a lot of crappy ones all week.

2008 SXT 3.5L
The weird thing is that it has the 4-speed transmission. Based on what I read on Allpar I thought that all the Magnums came with the Mercedes 5-speed starting in 2006. Here's an '08 with the 4.

The former owner had the custom paint job on the roof done professionally. It looks great in person! It's amazing how many comments I have gotten from people on this car so far. Most common questions is, "What IS THAT?!?" It's sad to think what could have been with these 1st gen LX cars had you know who not gone mad with cost cutting on the interiors. The Magnum's interior is ok - not terrible. But it doesn't hold a candle to my '11 Journey's insides. Still, a great and fun car to drive!

I got it in a private sale and the seller hadn't done anything to help the presentation - it was filthy inside. I spent 3 hours cleaning the whole car top to bottom when I got it home and now it looks fantastic! I believe the guy could have probably commanded more money had he put some time and effort into cleaning it up.

I spent today doing an oil change, air filter, cabin air filter, wiper blades, RainX treated the windshield, Back to Black on all the plastic trim bits...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Looks like you picked up quite a piece. Hope the paint holds up, but from the pics you showed, it looks great. :thumbsup:

That's really weird about it only being a 4 speed...

·
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sir Moses Wellington said:
Looks like you picked up quite a piece. Hope the paint holds up, but from the pics you showed, it looks great. :thumbsup:

That's really weird about it only being a 4 speed...
Thanks!

As I understand it (explained over on the LX Forums) you can tell which tranny you have based on the shifter gate. If it has the side to side "+/-" autostick in D then it's the 5-speed. If it has no autostick and a 3 and L below Drive then it's the 4-speed. I have the latter.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Nicely done.........I'm not often a fan of custom paint jobs, but this Magnum looks really good. I always have my eyes out for Magnums......some day I'll probably grab one!!!!
As for the interior, maybe you could add a splash of red somewhere......the interior on my 08 Charger has held up well, in terms of appearance/rattles. It's not the prettiest interior out there, but it's holding up.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Looks sweet!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
Nice. I'm not a fan of the Magnums, but that one looks real nice.

I'm simply amazed when a seller doesn't make a car presentable. Just cleaning up a vehicle can increase the price.

·
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! The paint job thankfully was not some homebrew job. My buddy used to work at an autobody shop and he had a look over it the other night. He was impressed with the quality of the workmanship on the paint. He commented that it's "pro" - based on the cut lines along the windows and the inside of the doors.

Doug D said:
Nice. I'm not a fan of the Magnums, but that one looks real nice.

I'm simply amazed when a seller doesn't make a car presentable. Just cleaning up a vehicle can increase the price.
No kidding! You should have seen this thing. There was gritty dust and caked on crud in ever crevasse, nook, and cranny. There were air fresheners clipped to ever vent - which led me to ask the seller if he was a smoker (he was). I pulled all the air fresheners (hate the smell of those things) and I sprayed all the fabric with Febreeze. There's no unusual odor in the car at all. I wish I had taken a photo of the key fob... It was so caked with crud over the buttons that at first I thought the rubber was disintegrating and worn. It wasn't until I ran a wipe over it that I realized it was all on the surface. I broke out the Goo Gone and went to work. Now it looks fine.

The pros are that this car was never winter driven. The owner garaged it every year. After doing the oil change today and getting a good look at the underside of the car I'm inclined to believe him. There isn't a spec of surface rust anywhere on this car.

I literally was just outside trying to figure out how to properly stow the spare tire and jack. I finally broke out the manual and figured it out. The guy had the wrench arm loose in the trunk and the tire wasn't bolted down tightly. I think this might solve some of the clunks and rattles I heard from the back over big bumps.

Now that I've got her all cleaned up and performed some of the usual maintenance this thing looks nearly brand new! It's fun to drive too! I love seeing the hood line from the driver's seat. Totally reminds me of my first car ('80 Cougar). It feels large on the road but not cumbersome. I was able to parallel park it without issue. Reviews I've read that complain about rearward visibility seem unjustified to me. Side visibility is actually surprisingly good.

Just to add that I am pleasantly surprised by the '08 model. It's one of those vehicles that looks a lot better in person than in photos - especially that front end redesign and the interior. I'm pleased to report that the upper dash is in fact one single piece of soft touch material. From the photos I thought it was going to be multiple chunks and pieces like the Grand Caravan of the same year. It's not. I guess the LX models were Dodge's flagship cars so their interiors fared better than the Grand Caravan, Avenger, and Caliber.

·
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh one more thing. THANK GOODNESS that they moved the Cruise Control stalk over to the right side of the wheel in the 2008 model! I'd still rather have buttons on the wheel, but it's at least an improvement over the 05-07 design. I test drove a few 07's and having that stalk on the left side was maddening! In order to fit it in there they moved the turn signal stalk down a few degrees so I kept accidentally hitting the cruise stalk when signalling turns. Worst design EVER.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Dude, you've got it up to Front Line specs - Looks sharp!

These are lovely cars; shame they let the model dry on the vine.

When I looked at them to see if it could be a fit for me, I really liked the rear hatch - how it was both out of the way when opened, but also gave more access than meets the eye.

Congratulations on what looks like a great find :)

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Congratulations! Looks great! Nice paint job! Enjoy a very unique automobile...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Good choice, I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine. Re: unknown squeaks and rattles, check your sunroof - worst culprit - and look at your suspension bushings. I had mine all replaced recently as they were cracked, and the car is as quiet as the day I purchased it. Can't believe what a difference that repair made!

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
She does look nice! Daughter and I always point out MMagnumm every time we see one.

·
Super Moderator
36,951 Posts
Nice.
The US EPA numbers list the 3.5 with both the 4 speed and 5 speed. The EPA rating is the same 17/20/24 with either transmission.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I believe the four-speed was paired with the 3.5 for fleet sales, mostly to rental companies as a means of saving money.

I love the color and roof treatment. Sharp vehicle! Welcome to the LX club!

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Now THAT is one sharp ride.

About the only thing I might even consider would be to add a black pinstripe just below the black cutoff. I think that simple addition could make it look even better.

Nice job.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I've liked the Magnums since they first came out. Yours is one sexy looking ride. Congrats on the purchase and happy motoring.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Congrats!!!

I've always loved the Magnums, especially the 2008s

Crazy to think the car was stored in the winter, but otherwise filthy.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Looks good! Very nice choice!

I remember looking at the new 2010 Chargers SXTs and they all had the 4sp with 3.5, which is a shame as I think the 5sp is nicely paired with the 3.5. Of note my ex co worker has 2010 300 Singature and it has the 3.5 4sp combo.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts