Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I bought the 88 Reliant 2.5 auto coupe. It is really clean, I mean really. Drives very well, the fan blower is a little loud and the ac needs a recharge despite a sticker that says it was in 2012.

I drive it for about 30 miles and I pick my sister up from work. We go to leave and the engine starts but then sputters and dies. So I think its outta gas despite the fuel gage saying it has half a tank. I'm currently waiting on the guy from the lot to bring me gas.

So hopefully its just the gauge, I'll have my mechanic take care of that. I want to install a new radio, speakers and an alarm any tips?

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Could be a faulty hall effect switch instead of your gas gauge, man. I'd check the plug and if you have a spare one lying around, try it and see what happens first. Congrats on the purchase, though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it was just the gauge, the seller says he will fix it cause he didn't disclose it. I'm not used to bench seats, I'm leaning to the right toward the center of the bench and its annoying.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's also a strong burning rubber smell that is coming from the engine from time to time....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I drove it 68 miles today and averaged 16 mpg, no fault codes and it seems to run very well. It was 50/50 city and highway. Anything I can check out?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I would look at the timing belt and drive belts for that burning smell, as well as the wiring harness on the backside of the valve cover, and anywhere else that you can pinpoint underhood.

68 miles isn't enough to get an accurate gas mileage reading. I'm sure you will do far better, at least 23 mpg city and over 30 highway.

Reactions: CaravelleMan

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would look at the timing belt and drive belts for that burning smell, as well as the wiring harness on the backside of the valve cover, and anywhere else that you can pinpoint underhood.

68 miles isn't enough to get an accurate gas mileage reading. I'm sure you will do far better, at least 23 mpg city and over 30 highway.

You are right, I'll give it another go for the mpg. I found out also that it had 20 psi in all tires. So I just took care of that hopefully it'll make a difference. I'm using it for my side job, about 20 hours a week delivering groceries for Instacart in the East Bay. Do you suggest anything I can check on to prep this car for duty?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Do you suggest anything I can check on to prep this car for duty?
Tune up - plugs, wires, new cap, rotor
Change oil/filter
Check alignment
Check brakes - new pads/rotors if necessary, consider replacing the brake fluid
Change coolant
Check all exterior lights
Check the date of tire manufacture - if older than 10 years, replace. Check tires for dry rot, replace if necessary.

Bob's correct - in city type driving you should easily average 23 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
You are right, I'll give it another go for the mpg. I found out also that it had 20 psi in all tires. So I just took care of that hopefully it'll make a difference. I'm using it for my side job, about 20 hours a week delivering groceries for Instacart in the East Bay. Do you suggest anything I can check on to prep this car for duty?
The only thing you can do is keep up on maintenance, like mentioned above. I assume there will be a lot of stopping and starting. I'd make sure you have a really good battery and maybe make a couple of shorter oil changes if it's been sitting much.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I'll get that done, thanks guys.
This engine should have Champion plugs too right?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Use whatever the hood labels indicates (provided it is readable). But yes the proper Champions should work just fine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use whatever the hood labels indicates (provided it is readable). But yes the proper Champions should work just fine.
There are no labels under the hood at all. I looked everywhere. What gap should they be set to?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
According to my Haynes manual the gap should be 0.035. This was for the 2.5L. The 2.2L is the same block, but different stroke. It lists Champion RN12YC for the 2.5L, but you may want to verify that is also correct for the 2.2L.

I didn't mention if before but you may want to have the battery and charging system checked to what condition they are in and it is putting out the correct voltage. Advance Auto and Auto Zone will do this for no charge.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordering some tune up parts right now, any particular spark plug wires to get? I'm grabbing a new cap, champ plugs, o2 sensor, and gonna give an oil change. Should I pick up a map sensor too for when it fails? Also I'm getting a squeakie sound when turning the wheels what's up with it that?

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Sounds like either the power steering fluid is low or you may just need to change it. Check the belt for cracks too!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Check the power steering belt - probably time for a new belt. Eglin wires from NAPA always gave me good service - they match OEM.

MAP sensors don't fail that often - save your $$. Might want to pick up a spare Haul Effect though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't find a Hall Effect, is it also known as Distributer Pick up coil?

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
A good parts counter man would have known what you're talking about. You really want to blow one of the kids minds that Autozone is so fond of hiring nowadays? Go in and ask for a vacuum tree for a 1969 Chevelle SS 396. I'd almost be willing to bet you a hundred bucks that NOBODY in the store will know you want a ported vacuum switch.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts