Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Heck - at the local Advance Auto, they don't even know what HOAT is. All they stock is Death-Cool and Prestone Universal (and the generic equivalent) when it comes to coolant. NAPA is the only one that has HOAT (Zerex G05).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh would it be wise to use the G-05 in the Reliant? They have it at my Pepboys

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
You can, but the Reliant probably has the old type green antifreeze. You would have to thoroughly flush out the green antifreeze before refilling with HOAT antifreeze.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'd leave the green stuff in it, but check it using coolant test strip for acidity and for freeze point. Don't reinvent the wheel as they say, you can better use the money for other things for this car, the green stuff is plenty fine for these old cars.

I would check that timing belt asap, especially if the v belts are worn or dry rotted, probably anything behind then hasn't been tended to in a while either. It won't hurt the 2.2 or 2.5 if it breaks but it will leave you stranded.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
It won't hurt the 2.2 or 2.5 if it breaks but it will leave you stranded.
Been there done that. :( I believe the recommended interval for the timing belt is every 105K miles. I had two of mine break at about 145K. Not fun waiting for a tow truck.

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
They were probably 60k in the 80s before better timing belts bumped the interval to 105k in the 90s.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Gonna change the oil when all my stuff from rockauto comes, what do you reccomend?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
5w-30 of whatever is on sale - I'm not picky. I've used almost everything from Castrol to Pennzoil to Mobil to Quaker State and never had a problem directly related to oil. As long as it meets Chrysler's specs which should be in the owner's manual. And that's regular conventional oil - not synthetics.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah thats it! I still have the metal ones from the caravelle, I think I'll switchem

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey guys I'm getting the timing belt changed in a few weeks. I've noticed at idle it seems to have a slight hesitation, hard to notice til your under the hood. Do you think the timing belt will take care of that?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
No codes present, I've got almost everything for the tune up, just forgot the rotor

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey I picked up a fuel filter too, but I've never changed one. Anything I should know? Also I have no owners manual and can't find this answer online, how much oil to put in the 2.5 ? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hey I picked up a fuel filter too, but I've never changed one. Anything I should know? Also I have no owners manual and can't find this answer online, how much oil to put in the 2.5 ? Thanks everyone!
I think it's about 4.2 with filter. Check after running with 4 qts first. Filter size makes big diffrence also.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Oil is 4 qts plus 1/2 qt for the standard filter. If you go with the old slant-6 filter (PH-8A or equivalent, which fits and works fine), you add 5 qts and get more filtering capacity and a little more cooling.

To change fuel filter, either wait a day for pressure to bleed down, or very briefly connect battery to the fuel injector (just for a second or two) to release fuel pressure. The filter has a quick-disconnect fitting from the factory, but they don't last, so I always get some new SAE 30R9 or 100R6 fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps, and clamp new hose on instead.

Be prepared for fuel to drip down your arm and on the pavement; and the filter will still be full.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts