Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article in Motortrend from the 22nd says the new minivan-replacing crossover will be called Pacifica. Are they right? It's mentioned in the article about the new Mazda 3 image.

·
3,813 Posts
I would love a new Pacifica (if its as awesome a vehicle as the previous one) and so would a lot of my customer who are still holding on to their old Pacifica's because nothing Chrysler makes now truly replaces it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping this is correct. Pacifica is a good name for it.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Well. I would take everything from Motor Trend with a GRAIN of salt. A very small grain.
That said, I think resurrecting the Pacifica name is a great idea. Good vehicle, good name. Just wish they'd do it alongside the Town & Country and GC. Oh wait, have I already said that a bunch of times?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If they haven't settled on the engeneering of the minivan replacements, I doubt they've figured out what they'll be called.

Priorities

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
bumonbox said:
Well. I would take everything from Motor Trend with a GRAIN of salt. A very small grain.
That said, I think resurrecting the Pacifica name is a great idea. Good vehicle, good name. Just wish they'd do it alongside the Town & Country and GC. Oh wait, have I already said that a bunch of times?
agree 100%

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
The Pacifica was a great euro-crossover wagon and I am seeing a lot more Journey wagons around here lately. Pacifica's and Journey's low sales numbers were from poor marketing if nothing else.
Most people who borrowed one overnight while their car was in the shop or as a weekend rental vehicle fell in love with it. We even had customers buy one the next day. It was Chrysler's biggest sleeper and was sadly underexposed.
It would make a nice SWB minivan replacement and join the Journey as a good crossover utility vehicle with comfort, safety and economy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This area is loaded with them. Good cars, still very attractive and I had the priviledge of selling the first one in Helena, Mt many years ago.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Dad had rented a Pacifica when his Dakota was in the shop, and he liked it. He was in construction school at the time and he was still able to use it to get supplies and to carry his tools, albeit probably not quite as comfortably or easily as a stow-n-go minivan.

When the decision to axe Pacifica was made I thought that it was odd, given the trend towards Crossovers. Kind of like how I thought that it was odd for Dakota to be changed so significantly as to effectively remove it from the market of Mid-size trucks, a market that it dominated through sheer lack of competition for so long...

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
JRS200x said:
I would love a new Pacifica (if its as awesome a vehicle as the previous one) and so would a lot of my customer who are still holding on to their old Pacifica's because nothing Chrysler makes now truly replaces it.
That could be said for a number of past vehicles.

Don't debate that statement here, go here instead:
http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/147567-the-death-of-jeep/?p=11347227

To the topic at hand...if you wish to make a "break" and not confuse the consumers that will come in looking for the T&C minivan, then a name change for a different vehicle type makes sense.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
Yes.

[cough]

XJ, DJ, CJ, WJ; Reliant, Omni, Intrepid, Concorde, LHS, 300M; short-wheelbase minivan; Dakota; A-truck; A-van; B-van; compact RWD economy car; class 8 trucks; luxury cars (Imperial); full-length station wagons; any station wagons; woodies; true Power Wagons; ... what am I missing?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stratuscaster said:
To the topic at hand...if you wish to make a "break" and not confuse the consumers that will come in looking for the T&C minivan, then a name change for a different vehicle type makes sense.
Agreed, keeping the T&C name would confuse alot of customers.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
Yes, but it would also avoid the need to publicize a whole new name. Assuming the crossover is the Chrysler and not the Dodge.

I do think that they should pick Voyager, Town & Country, or Pacifica... the latter two aren't great names but all of them are known. At this point I am a fan of keeping names.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think T&C is a great name; Just think a change is good if they switch from a minivan. The article refers to some banking report/presentation that says the new CUV will be Pacifica. I was wondering if they got ahold of unreleased info confirming the decision.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Granted, the Town & Country name has been applied to a good number of vehicles over it's lifetime. I just wonder if it resonates with the younger demographic.

·
Registered
497 Posts
A CUV named Town & Country would be a bit closer to its roots, but as Strat has said, the variety of vehicles to wear the name is huge.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Im sorry....naming it "Town and Country" would be a big mistake. Way too much unnecessaryconfussion if that were to happen. They really dropped the ball when they let the Pacifica die on the vine. If it was allowed to evolve then it would be a a real player. Unfortunately it was doomed by the decontenting of Daimler and in the end it was a crossover with some serious identy issues.

I am all for it being called Pacifica

1 - 20 of 82 Posts