Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks again for the previous advice on Infinity cassette head units, Since the Infinity III unit I scarfed out of a '95 Chrysler (LHS or Concorde, I forget) works well, I got to thinking about the car's Infinity amp(s).

Would that car have separate speaker amps or one main amp in the trunk? If it's one power amp in the trunk, is it worth going back to the junkyard after? Are they hard to make work with the non-Infinity wiring?

Thanks,
Bill

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Those cars use the single outboard amp. There would be a fair bit of wiring involved with using one in a non Infinity car. You'd have to run all four speaker level outputs from the deck back to the amp (8 wires), power, ground, and power antenna feed. Then, from the amp, you'd have to run wires to the dash speakers, door speakers, and two set of wires each to the rear speakers.

Not really worth it, if you ask me. That amp doesn't put out a lot of power... 120W being an optimistic number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks O.W.! I found the Allpar write-up on Infinity amps after i made the post, I had seen it before but thought it was just for the 'on speaker' amps. Yes, I can see that there would be a great deal of wiring involved and I agree that it probably wouldn't be worth it. The head unit seems to have a reasonable amount of volume as is, so I think I'll let it alone and concentrate on other areas of the ragtop that need attention (and there's no shortage of those!).

Then again, next time I'm at the boneyard, I may ask how much they want for the amp. If it's $10-$15, I may grab it and it's connectors and stick it all in the corner of the garage - just in case. B)

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was back at the j-yard today and took another look at that amp. It looks like the earlier black unit that was described in the 'Infinity Amp' Allpar tutorial. http://www.allpar.com/stereo/Infinity-Amplifiers/%C2

Another yard had one of the newer silver units in the trunk of a 2000 Chrysler. It's too bad there isn't an easy way to make use of these, like wire all 8 internal amps together and use it to drive a sub-woofer or something.

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of my text from the last post got lost... The amp in the picture is similar to the one in the Allpar Infinity Amp tutorial except it says 'Spatial Imaging' instead of 'Reference Standard'. The junkyard wants $10 for it. I'll think about it for a while.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts